The official history of the University of California, Los Angeles starts May 23, 1919 when Governor William D. Stephens signed Assembly Bill 626 into law, which turned the facilities of the Los Angeles State Normal School into the Southern Branch of the University of California. After moving to its new campus in Westwood in 1929 it was renamed UCLA and has since expanded to become The Los Angeles branch of the California State Normal School opened on August 29, 1882. In 1887, the branch campus became independent and changed its name to Los Angeles State Normal School. In 1914, the school moved to a new campus on Vermont Avenue in Hollywood. In 1917, UC Regent Edward A. Dickson, the only regent representing the Southland at the time, and Ernest Carroll Moore, Director of the Normal School, began working together to lobby the State for the second University of California campus, after Berkeley. The Southern Branch campus opened on September 15 of that year, offering two-year undergraduate programs to 250 Letters and Science students and 1,250 students in the Teachers College, under Moore's continued direction. The school newspaper, Cub Californian, athletics, student government, and Greek chapters were organized in the first year at the Vermont location. #ucla #ucla100 #myalmamater #centuryofexcellence (at Midtown (Atlanta)) https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx01jAbnaDdoL-thhqn1sgGb1Q6UYjU6AwuDc40/?igshid=1fmjyff5wrpth