📍 Hyangwonjeong (Korean: 향원정; Hanja: 香遠亭), or Hyangwonjeong Pavilion
It's a small, two-story hexagonal pavilion built around 1873 by the order of King Gojong when Geoncheonggung residence was built to the north within Gyeongbokgung.
The pavilion was constructed on an artificial island of a lake named Hyangwonji (Korean: 향원지; Hanja: 香遠池), and a bridge named Chwihyanggyo (Korean: 취향교; Hanja: 醉香橋) connects it to the palace grounds. The name Hyangwonjeong is loosely translated as "Pavilion of Far-Reaching Fragrance", while Chwihyanggyo is "Bridge Intoxicated with Fragrance".
The bridge Chwihyanggyo was originally located on the north side of the island and was the longest bridge constructed purely of wood during the Joseon dynasty; however, it was destroyed during the Korean War. The bridge was reconstructed in its present form on the south side of the island in 1953 but is now being relocated to its original location on the north side. The reconstruction is expected to be completed in 2019.
—
Download our Korean learning app for free 💕
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=en.jhmedia.dekikan
Apple App Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1522272790
(Or search for “can korean” on Google Play or App Store directly.)
—
Follow CAN Korean for more updates :) ■ Facebook ■ Twitter ■ Instagram ■ Tumblr ■
—











