[Video 🎥]
⭕️ This video was made by the feminist women’s collective WISH on Lesvos about the situation and women’s struggles in the Kara Tepe refugee camp.
seen from China

seen from Vietnam
seen from Russia

seen from Russia
seen from Morocco
seen from Brazil
seen from United States

seen from Russia
seen from China
seen from United States
seen from United States

seen from Brazil

seen from Russia
seen from United States

seen from United States

seen from United States
seen from United States
seen from China
seen from China

seen from Malaysia
[Video 🎥]
⭕️ This video was made by the feminist women’s collective WISH on Lesvos about the situation and women’s struggles in the Kara Tepe refugee camp.
DURING the first week of 2021, Katrin Glatz-Brubakk treated a refugee who had tried to drown himself.
His arms, already covered with scars, were sliced open with fresh cuts.
He told her: “I can’t live in this camp any more. I’m tired of being afraid all the time, I don’t want to live any more.”
He is 11 years old. Glatz-Brubakk, a child psychologist at Doctors Without Borders’ (MSF) mental health clinic in Lesbos, tells me he is the third child she’s seen for suicidal thoughts and attempts so far this year.
At the time we spoke, it was only two weeks into the new year.
The boy is one of thousands of children living in the new Mavrovouni (also known as Kara Tepe) refugee camp on the Greek island, built after a fire destroyed the former Moria camp in September.
MSF has warned of a mental health “emergency” among children at the site, where 7,100 refugees are enduring the coldest months of the year in flimsy tents without heating or running water.
Situated by the coast on a former military firing range, the new site, dubbed Moria 2.0, is completely exposed to the elements with tents repeatedly collapsing and flooding.
This week winds of up to 100km/h battered the camp and temperatures dropped to zero. Due to lockdown measures residents can only leave once a week, meaning there is no escape, not even temporarily, from life in the camp.
The Greek government is downplaying the risk of lead poisoning at a migrant camp built in part on top of a former firing range on Lesbos island to justify its own inadequate action, Human Rights Watch said in a question-and-answer document released today. Analysis by Human Rights Watch and experts of the Greek government’s testing shows the need for immediate comprehensive soil testing, blood testing for young children, and safety measures to mitigate the most serious health risks.
“For seven weeks after the Greek government received test results that showed unsafe lead levels it took minimal action, and now is continuing to downplay the risk and the need for further action,” said Belkis Wille, senior crisis and conflict researcher at Human Rights Watch. “Exposure to lead can cause lifelong harm, and the government should listen to environmental health experts who are advising immediate action to assess and address the full risk for residents and employees in the camp, and mitigate the harm.”
On January 27, 2021, the Greek government made public a report with the results of limited tests by the Greek Institute of Geology and Mineral Exploration (EAGME) at the camp in November 2020. Human Rights Watch shared those results with two environmental experts and a medical expert with a specialty in lead. The experts said that the reported testing was insufficient in scope to fully assess the extent and severity of lead contamination at the camp. They also noted that key elements of the methodology were not clearly described. The two environmental health experts said that the report also applied the wrong standards to some of the sample results, leading to a more positive conclusion than the facts warrant.
The Greek government report confirmed the presence of lead contamination in some areas of the Mavrovouni temporary migrant camp where 6,900 women, men, and children are living on Lesbos. Human Rights Watch sent a letter to the Greek government in early November calling on it to test the site because 21,000 square meters of the camp, according to the government, had been a small arms firing range from 1926 until the camp opened in September 2020. Firing ranges are well recognized as sites contaminated by lead, which is highly toxic, particularly to children and during pregnancy.
Years of entrapment on Aegean islands has resulted in a mental health crisis for thousands of refugees, with one in three contemplating suicide, a report compiled by psychosocial support experts has revealed.
Containment policies pursued by the EU have also spurred ever more people to attempt to end their lives, according to the report released by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) on Thursday.
“Research reveals consistent accounts of severe mental health conditions,” says the report, citing data collated over the past two and a half years on Lesbos, Samos and Chios.
Depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and self-harm “among people of all ages and backgrounds” have emerged as byproducts of the hopelessness and despair on Europe’s eastern borderlands, it says.
“As many as three out of four of the people the IRC has assisted through its mental health programme on the three islands reported experiencing symptoms such as sleeping problems, depression and anxiety,” its authors wrote. “One in three reported suicidal thoughts, while one in five reported having made attempts to take their lives.”
In a year upended by coronavirus and disastrous fires on Lesbos – about 13,000 asylum seekers were temporarily displaced after the destruction of Moria, the island’s infamous holding centre – psychologists concluded that the humanitarian situation on the outposts had worsened considerably.
The mental health toll had been aggravated by lockdown measures that had kept men, women and children confined to facilities for much of 2020, they said.
Previously, residents in Moria, Europe’s biggest refugee camp before its destruction, had participated in football games outside the facility and other group activities.
Noting that the restrictions were stricter for refugees and migrants than those applied elsewhere in Greece, IRC support teams found a marked deterioration in the mental wellbeing of people in the camps since rolling lockdowns were enforced in March.
The Ministry of Migration & Asylum has published a positively Orwellian statement, ironically titled “Respect and Solidarity”. The statement aims to encourage people to go to the new Kara Tepe camp, but it contains blatant lies as well as vilification of NGOs. The Ministry eventually deleted the sentence vilifying NGOs, but several organizations were able to capture screenshots. This is part of the government’s larger strategy of preventing nonprofits from operating and blaming them in the media for everything wrong with the asylum system. Today alone, the authorities stopped NGOs from distributing food and water in a cynical move to force people into camps, threatening them with fines. All year, the government has been trying to impose further restrictions on their ability to operate and associate freely, even though it often depends on NGOs to provide services it cannot (or will not) provide itself. Attacking nonprofits has been a favorite tactic of the government for a while and it has found fertile ground among certain segments of the Greek population. There were scores of attacks on solidarity workers in February and March, and the threat of violence has never fully gone away. An inflammatory statement like this that equates NGOs with threatening people could lead to more violence. Even though the sentence about NGOs was deleted, the statement still reads like an excerpt from 1984. It begins like this: Dear migrant, if you are in Lesvos, the only safe place for you and your family is in the new camp. There, the Greek State guarantees your safety and provides you with electricity, water, medical care, wifi etc. Even though the government has attempted to limit media access, reports have been pouring out about the horrendous conditions in the new camp. There is still no running water, limited food, and the tents do not even have flooring. There are not enough tents for everyone and families with small children are sleeping exposed to the elements. Thus, the government is using blatant lies to lure people into the camp.
Uludağ'ın Zirvesindeki Değişim ve Aşınma Süreci
Uludağ’ın Zirvesindeki Değişim Uludağ’ın zirvesinde gerçekleştirilen drone çekimleri, dağın zirvesindeki erimenin hızla ilerlediğini gözler önüne serdi. Uzmanlar, kuzeyden batıya doğru yaşanan aşınmanın etkisiyle yıllar içerisinde Uludağ‘ın daha alçak bir dağ haline dönüşeceğini belirtiyor. Bursalı bir dağcının saatler süren zirve yürüyüşü, kendisini takip eden drone tarafından anbean…
Uludağ'ın Zirvesindeki Değişim ve Aşınma Süreci
Uludağ’ın Zirvesindeki Değişim Uludağ’ın zirvesinde gerçekleştirilen drone çekimleri, dağın zirvesindeki erimenin hızla ilerlediğini gözler önüne serdi. Uzmanlar, kuzeyden batıya doğru yaşanan aşınmanın etkisiyle yıllar içerisinde Uludağ‘ın daha alçak bir dağ haline dönüşeceğini belirtiyor. Bursalı bir dağcının saatler süren zirve yürüyüşü, kendisini takip eden drone tarafından anbean…