Lord's Walk
[Written by Kathi Baker, volunteer at Amesbury History Centre. Originally Published: 1st July 2025]
Lord’s Walk is a wide grassy avenue, sitting above and following the line of the River Avon, and goes gently downhill from Ratfyn Road to Countess Road, with views of the river visible through the trees. The area also encompasses a gravel footpath to the right of the Ratfyn entrance which leads through a wooded area and down two flights of steps, crossing a wooden bridge to reach the riverbank, where the walk continues to a pedestrian entrance with parking on Countess Road.
The precincts of the former priory in Amesbury were laid out as a park in the early 17th century, and in 1720 it was bought by Henry Boyle, Lord Carleton (d 1725). New gates to the east were erected between 1720 and 1725, beyond which a new entrance avenue, originally Lord Carleton's Walk but later named Lord's Walk, was planted to provide private access from the London road. It was originally planted with limes, but has been planted with hazel, beech and other deciduous trees and conifers on either side since the late 20th century.
There were two gatehouses to the parkland. The first was Diana’s House built in 1600 of flint, with stone quoins and dressings. The National Heritage listing states it is ‘two storeys, triangular block with octagonal stair tower attached to south’ but the 2018 owner states that the stair tower is hexagonal and the original two story part of the house is pentagonal. The inscription over the ground floor door reads 'Diana, her hous 1600.' Diana is alleged to have been a mistress of Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford (who gained the lands in 1541), but according to local history Diana was a niece of Seymour, not a mistress, as another building of Seymour's on another site had the inscription ‘His Hous’ (the stone with the name on was never found).
The second gatehouse was Kent House, built in 1607 of flint with stone dressings. It was altered and extended circa 1733, and later served as the farmhouse for Park Farm. It was extended again circa 1960, and is now a private house.













