The old Occidental Hotel makes an appearance in this rather humorous story. The Occidental Hotel once stood where the infamous "sinking ship" parking garage is now. Historylink has a brief slideshow of the site through the years. Danny Westneat of the Seattle Times has a story about a man who believes the site is cursed and wrote a book about it.
"It's as if a single piece of real estate contains a version of every bad Seattle story ever told.
For starters, the land was more or less stolen from the Indians. So was everything around here. Andrews argues this affront was worse. Based on old maps of when Yesler Street was a tide flat, he theorizes it was the site of the main fishing camp of the Suquamish leader, Chief Seattle.
Later, it was part of a sawmill skid road. Then its two maple trees were used for the town hangings — including, in 1882, a lynching. After which the sheriff, who had owned the property, mysteriously dropped dead.
For a time, Seattle's finest hotel was there, the Occidental. But it was destroyed in a fire, rebuilt and then neglected into foreclosure due to bitter family lawsuits. By the 1940s, it was called the Seattle Hotel — grand architecture but the "mother of all flophouses," Andrews writes."