Spotlight: Danescourt Estate
In the northwest corner of Cardiff, sandwiched between Llandaff and Radyr, sits Danescourt. This 1970s development of c.1,200 houses has at its heart a thirteenth century church, a fifteenth century manor house and, for some inexplicable reason, a postbox dating back to King George V. Anachronistic postboxes aside, there is a surprising amount of history for an estate which is just 40 years old...
Origin of the name
As previously covered ‘Danescourt’ is an amalgamation of the names of two properties which predate the estate. “Danes” refers to Danesbrook House, a private dwelling built during the Edwardian period and later extended and converted into a private nursing home, while “Court” refers to Radyr Court House (after which the nearby Radyr Court Road is named).
Radyr Court
In the 12th Century to the west of St John’s Church (on what is now Heol Aradur) stood a house called Radyr Isha (Lower Radyr), it had passed into the Mathew family in the 1450s through the marriage of Thomas Mathew (3rd son of Sir David Mathew, Standard Bearer of England under King Edward IV during the Wars of the Roses) to Catherine Ferch Morgan (daughter of Welsh nobleman Morgan Ap Llewellyn and heiress of Radyr). The marriage elevated the Mathew family so significantly that they felt it necessary to replace their grand Radyr Isha property with a larger and far grander manor house.
The new home (known as Cwrt Radur, or Radyr Court) was constructed at about 1469 to the east of St John’s Church alongside an existing track which led to a ford at the River Taff. The property was said to be a grand manor house, similar in size and style to that of the ‘Van House’ in Caerphilly built several years earlier. Radyr Isha had been left to ruin, as noted by Rhys Meurig in the 16th century:
“ye manor house by the west of ye church, sometime ye house of Morgan Llew ap Jeban, now decay'd"
In subsequent years the derelict house would be removed in its entirety (foundations and all) by David’s grandson Sir George Mathew to make way for a large deer park. Deer were seen a status symbol in Tudor times, but this unnecessary extravagance would signal the beginning of the end for the Mathew dynasty.
Creation of the deer park required the eviction of several tenant farmers in the manor, this loss of potential income coupled with the high cost of looking after a herd of deer led to significant financial problems. George’s eldest son William attempted to revive his family’s fortune by investing in the Pentyrch Iron Works. By 1625, with crippling debts and very little income, Captain George Mathew was forced to sell what remained of the estate to the Lewis family of Caerphilly ending nearly 200 years of the Mathew family’s reign in Radyr.
By 1830 a large portion of Radyr Court had to be demolished after being ravaged by fire. The remaining wings of the house were renovated and converted into a farmhouse. It remained as a working farm until the 1970s (top picture) when council planners purchased the surrounding lands and set about creating a new estate to satisfy the needs of the expanding city. By 1979 the farmhouse had been extensively renovated and reopened as a pub known as The Radyr Court.
The pub has changed hands a number of times in 40 years and undergone several transformations, including a stint between 2003 and 2013 where the upstairs became an Indian restaurant. The current incarnation is viewed as more of a restaurant than a pub and is owned by three local men who saved it from closure in 2013. It officially reopened in 2015 after an extensive (and no doubt expensive) refurbishment, with a new logo featuring a deer and the year ‘1469′ in reference to the history of the building.
Radyr Chain
In Tudor times the responsibility for maintaining the local road network was that of the Parish. Each parishioner was duty-bound to do one week (6 days) unpaid work on the roads (although records from the time suggest payment in the form of free ale may have been given). As traffic on the roads increased, and parishioners were less willing to give up their free time, it was necessary for the parish to use paid labour. By the 1770s it became apparent that the present system was unsustainable and before the end of the century major roads in the county became turnpikes (an early name for a toll road). The concept worked in much the same way that modern toll roads do where an appointed trust takes control of a section of road and charges road users for using that particular section; the fees collected would then be used for repairs and maintenance.
The main road from Llandaff to Capel Llanilltern (modern day Llantrisant Road) became a turnpike and was operated for profit by the Cardiff Turnpike Trust. A toll booth was built at the junction of modern day Waterhall Road, but road users soon realised they could bypass this toll by instead travelling via Llandaff Bridge and using nearby Radyr Court Road. In a bid to combat this, the Trust installed a chain across the road which was only lowered on receipt of payment. This led to the area being referred to as "Radyr Chain".
One known operator at the Radyr Chain toll booth was an elderly woman by the name of Rachel, also known as "Rachel of the Chain". Little is known of Rachel, though she is mentioned in this 1895 account by the Reverend William David, Rector Of St Fagans:
“Rachel, of the Chain, who lived alone in a comical little cabin about nine or ten feet square which stood at the corner of the adjacent crossroads, where she kept charge of a chain stretched across the road and lowered only on payment of toll by any traveller.”
The turnpikes were never popular, particularly with vendors living north of Radyr wishing to sell their wares in Cardiff. The hostility eventually turned to rioting in the 1840s, and by 1851 the turnpike trusts throughout South Wales were disbanded. Responsibility for the roads initially passed to a Llandaff Highways Board before eventually coming under the jurisdiction of the newly formed Glamorgan County Council in 1888.
With the former turnpikes now in the hands of the local Government, money for road maintenance was collected through taxes instead of individual tolls. This rendered the toll houses surplus to requirements and across the county they were demolished or sold off. Although Radyr Chain had been suggested for demolition in 1864 (and again in 1865) to facilitate the widening of the turnpike road, it is known to still be in place in 1879 as a local government report commented on the poor sanitary conditions and lack of running water at the building. The toll house had certainly been demolished by the early 1890s, and within 10 years the site had been redeveloped and the modern day “Radyr Chain” house (pictured) and lodge house were built.
The tree around which the chain was connected is believed to have been removed when construction of Danescourt began in the 1970s, the stump now sits in the foyer of the the Church Hall in Danescourt.
Surprising street names
Modern housing estates are usually littered with bland street names typically named after arbitrary items such as trees or plants (Pontprennau's Blackberry Way, Greenacre Drive and Acorn Grove immediately spring to mind!). When choosing the names of Danescourt's streets the planners appear to have consulted the history books for some rather more interesting and relevant names.
Radyr Court Road remains in situ (although the section leading north from the Taff through to Llantrisant Road is almost entirely pedestrianised) and off it you can find Mathew Walk (a reference to the Mathew family), Rachel Close (widely believed to be a reference to Rachel of the Chain) and Cadoc Place (an Anglicisation of the Saint Catwg).
Further afield at least 17 of the streets are named after former Deans, Archdeacons and Bishops of Llandaff, the first of which was a cleric by the name of Urban (a Latinised version of his birth name "Gwrgan") who is said to have established the Diocese of Llandaff and served as it's first Bishop in 1107 until his death in 1134. His name lives on as Heol Urban ("Heol" means "Road"). Heol Urban leads to three cul-de-sacs which are also named after former clergymen; Lynch Blosse Close (after Henry Lynch Blosse who served as Archdeacon from 1859 - 1877 and Dean until 1879) Bruce Knight Close (after William Bruce Knight who was Dean between 1843 and 1845 before becoming Chancellor) and Marshall Close (believed to be after John Marshall, Bishop between 1478 and 1496). Elsewhere in the estate the surnames of former Bishops William da Braose (1266-1287), Robert Holgate (1537-1545), Francis Godwin, (1601-1617), Charles Sumner (1826-1827) and Alfred Ollivant (1849-1882) are used as prefixes for the word "Close", as is that of James Rice Buckley the Archdeacon from 1913 - 1924 who has his own statue on the Cathedral Green in Llandaff (pictured).
Other streets named after former Bishops include Richard Lewis Close (1883-1905), Timothy Rees Close (1931-1939), Blethin Close (Anglicised version of William Blethyn, 1575-1590), Herbert March Close (a mis-spelling of Herbert Marsh, 1816-1819) and Hugh's Close (a fairly common name, but believed to be in reference to Hugh Jones, Bishop from 1567-1574). John Morgan Close (1939-1957) and Glyn Simon Close (1957-1971) are particularly significant as they both served as Bishop of Llandaff before becoming Archbishop of Wales.
In addition to the wider Diocese of Llandaff, a number of the streets are named after people who have made a contribution to Llandaff Cathedral. John Prichard and John Pollard Seddon, the Victorian Architects charged with restoring the Cathedral in the late 19th Century, are immortalised by the street names Heol Seddon and Pritchard Close (another spelling mistake). Jasper Close is named after Jasper Tudor who designed and helped fund the northwest tower of the Cathedral in the 14th Century, while Pace Close is named in reference to George Pace who helped restore the Cathedral in the 1950s following significant damage during World War II.
Other streets are named after artists and sculptors who have created significant pieces of artwork for the Cathedral, including:
Burne Jones Close: after Edward Burne-Jones, artist (Six Days of Creation, c.1893)
Edward Clarke Close: after Edward Clarke, stonemason (Trinity Corbel, 19th C.)
Epstein Close: after Sir Jacob Epstein, artist (Christ in Majesty, 1954)
Piper Close: after John Piper, artist (stained glass window "The Supper at Emmaus" 1959)
Roper Close: after Frank Roper, sculptor (Flowers of the Virgin Mary, 1964)
Rossetti Close: after Dante Gabriel Rossetti, artist (The Seed of David, 1864)
Wyon Close: after Allan G. Wyon, engraver (life size Brass of Timothy Rees)
The artists Thomas Woolner (Moses Before the Glory of God, 1860) and Alan Durst (Scenes From the Bible and the Life of St Teilo, 1952) have also been honoured with street names, but like many in the area they have both been spelt incorrectly as Woolmer Close and Allan Durst Close.









