The Melbourne Homoeopathic Hospital
One of Melbourne’s most distinctive hospitals once stood on St Kilda Road, opposite the Domain.
The institution began in 1869 as the Melbourne Homoeopathic Dispensary. It later became the Melbourne Homoeopathic Hospital, initially operating in the city before moving to a purpose-built hospital on St Kilda Road in 1885. The new building was officially opened in October that year.
The original hospital was an ornate Victorian complex, with verandahs, decorative brickwork, steeply roofed corner towers and elevated rooftop platforms. Architect Thomas James Crouch was responsible for the designs for the St Kilda Road hospital.
As the hospital grew, additional buildings and wings were added to the site.
In November 1934, the institution’s name was changed from the Homoeopathic Hospital to Prince Henry’s Hospital.
Source: Tony Beyer













