Do you know Penn Yan?: Penn Yan Oddity, No. 1 through No. 30
Anyone who has conducted research either through Yates County’s digitized newspapers or the Yates County History Center’s subject files has likely come across items titled either “Penn Yan Oddity” or “Yates County Oddity.” These items – snippets might be a good word – provide information about various aspects of local history, seeming to answer some sort of question or mystery.
Seeing so many of these snippets – and finding the answers but seeming not to find the question – I decided to scour our digitized newspaper database to see if I could find all of them, the questions with the answers. It turns out the oddities – 90 Penn Yan Oddity items, 52 Yates County Oddity items – were part of an advertising campaign in the 1940s for Baldwin’s Bank, then located at 127 Main St. in Penn Yan, the present-day home of the Arts Center of Yates County.
The Penn Yan Oddities ran in The Chronicle-Express in consecutive weeks from February 20, 1947 to November 11, 1948, and then the Yates County Oddities picked up right away in the newspaper from November 18, 1948 to November 24, 1949. So, for more than 2 and a half years, readers of The Chronicle-Express could learn something about local history each week in the newspaper.
Each item started out as an advertisement for Baldwin’s Bank with the phrase “Do You Know Penn Yan?” at the top of the graphic followed by the question for the week. In the middle, the bulk of the ad, would appear information about the bank’s various services and offerings. The bottom would direct the reader to look for the answer elsewhere on the same page and then look for another Oddity the following week.
In this article, I present Penn Yan Oddity No. 1 through No. 30. Each question and answer has been transcribed exactly as it appeared in the newspaper, which changes made only for typographical errors and not for grammatical style. The only time words have been removed from the items is in the case of references to photographs or other information that appeared elsewhere in the newspaper.
1) Where do autos now park on what was once the site of the village school?
The Maiden Lane Parking station was once the site of the Maiden Lane school where many of Penn Yan’s citizens received their education when they were children during the span from 1842 to ’93. Younger adults will recall when the school house was converted to a hitch barn by the late Owen Hoban, father of Leo and Owen Hoban; later sold and known as McConnell’s hitching barn for many years, finally being razed to make way for parking.
2) Where is there an octagon barn?
At the rear of the residence of John Andrews, 312 Clinton street, purchased from Mrs. Charlotte Becker, is an eight-sided barn, built in 1855 by Myron T. Hamlin. The builder sold the place to Darius Adams Ogden, first U.S. Consul to Honolulu and grandfather of Philip Ogden of Clinton street. Mr. Ogden built the house which Mr. Andrews now owns and gave it to his son, Darius Adams Ogden, jr., as a wedding present. The octagon barn may easily be seen on the north side of Clinton street as one drives along.
3) Where is there one of the old gas street lamp posts in original position?
In front of the Elias Wallace residence, 118 East Main street, Penn Yan, standing in its original position and now serving as trellis for a trumpet vine, is one of the old gas street lamp posts – the kind they have been singing about over the radio.
Can anyone tell us when they were installed, who was the last person employed to light them, when were they abandoned for the old style carbon electric arc lamps?
4) Where did Lake Keuka boats dock at Penn Yan in days before the dam and canal?
Before the dam made the outlet of Lake Keuka navigable for large boats and when horses forded the stream at Indian Pines, the boat dock for the north end of the East Branch was located near what is now Red Jacket park. In fact, the narrow drive which marks the north boundary of the park is a public highway leading from Lake street to Lake Keuka and the old dock. Horse drawn vehicles after fording the outlet would use this right-of-way to gain the Bath road, rather than driving into Penn Yan and crossing where the Main Street bridge is now located.
5) Where in Penn Yan is there still standing an iron hitching post?
In front of the Arthur Putney residence, 121 North avenue, is a metal hitching post – a pair of horses’ heads holding the two rings convenient for hitching. For years this was in Penn Yan’s business section and Park’s carriage works until some 35 years ago occupied the site of Dr. Glenn Hatch’s present residence, immediately next door to the Putney home.
There must be other hitching posts – metal or stone – still standing between the sidewalk and curb in Penn Yan. Where are they? If there is one in your neighborhood phone the Chronicle-Express – phone 123 – and for the fun of it, we’ll see how many still remain in Penn Yan.
6) How many other places are named Penn Yan?
There is only one Penn Yan in all this shrinking world – and that is in little Yates county, New York. Michigan once had a Penn Yan, but that Penn Yan shrank, too, until finally the post office name was withdrawn. In fact, the name has disappeared entirely in that section today. Nearest to “Penn Yan” is Pingyang, Korea, or Penang, an island, just west of the Malaysian peninsula, which the Japanese took in their early hop-skip-and-jump invasion south along that Asiatic protrusion.
7) What street is in the shape of a circle?
Wagener court, which opens onto and lies directly east of Benham street, is circular in shape. Four houses, erected by H. Allen Wagener, are on the street, built in 1918.
8) Where is there a residence in Penn Yan with 11 outside doors on the ground floor?
The residence at 155 North avenue, formerly owned and operated by the Turner sisters, has 11 doors opening from various parts of the house to the outside and all on the ground level. Two of the outside doors open towards the street on the front porch.
Recently this big old house was purchased by Fred Russell. Mrs. Elsie Reed Haney, who is in charge of the school cafeteria, rents the home.
9) Where in Penn Yan is there a tree with two limbs grown together forming a bridge?
A maple tree in front of the Methodist parsonage, 219 Main street, has two limbs which have grown together forming a perfect bridge and loop of wood.
10) Where is there a tree tied in knot?
A horse chestnut tree in front of 112 Benham street is thriving even though its main branches grow in a hard knot, some seven feet above the ground. About 50 years ago the late Richard Danes tied the twigs in a knot as a prank, never expecting the tree to live.
11) Which Penn Yan church occupies the site once used by a furniture factory?
The Curtis Chair factory once stood at the corner of Main and Clinton streets, the site now being used by the St. Mark’s Episcopal church and the late Seward McDonald residence. Samuel F. Curtis, grandfather of late Mrs. John Howard Perkins of Clinton Street, made furniture and coffins there until July 3, 1867 or 68, when the factory burned, along with the several houses between it and Jacob’s creek. The fire also destroyed the chain bridge across the brook. Approach to the second story of the houses back of the factory was direct from the elevated walk. After the fire the Johnson wagon repair shop occupied the location. Later the Episcopal Church moved from Main street, opposite Penn Yan Academy, to its present location.
12) Where are there old canal locks in Penn Yan through which railroad trains pass?
The trains of the New York Central railroad pass through locks of the old Crooked Lake canal near Cherry street, as well as at numerous other places during its eight-mile serpentine route, following the outlet from Penn Yan to Dresden. First used in October of 1833, the canal continued to carry boat traffic between Keuka and Seneca lakes until about 1877. Over two dozen locks were required to lift and lower the boats the difference of 265 feet between the lakes. The mason work of several of these locks is still in good condition and easily seen.
13) What Penn Yan church was once a public school?
The Free Methodist church on North avenue, just east of Main street, was a public school erected about 1843 or a dozen years after the first brick school house on the Liberty street site. After use as a school for a number of years it was transferred to the Free Methodists.
14) Under what buildings would excavators find the remains of an old canal tug boat?
If excavators were to work under the rear of the Armstrong restaurant, formerly Heath’s, and also under the Corcoran hardware they would very likely find the remains of a tug boat, which was sunk there in a spur of the old Crooked Lake canal before the latter was abandoned about 70 years ago. This spur, running a short distance north of the main canal, was handy for loading and unloading cargoes consigned to and from Penn Yan. Local industries along the canal or outlet banks had their private wharves. The waterway carried much traffic from the entire Lake Keuka community into Seneca lake and the Erie canal system to the Hudson and New York City.
15) What Penn Yan residence was once a thriving hostelry?
The Ottaway house at 210 North avenue was once one of the best-built hotels in Penn Yan. Operated by Mr. Pierce, it served guests when the corner of Main and Head (North avenue) streets, was the center of Yates county and Penn Yan commerce. Early in the 19th century there were three inns doing a brisk business there. This was before Vernon township, which then included Milo and Jerusalem townships as well, was named Benton. In 1818 the meeting at which Milo township was organized was held in one of those inns. Until recently a horseblock covered a liberal flowing spring which once supplied a watering trough in front of the building.
For many years the edifice has served as an apartment house.
16) Where did the original outlet leave Lake Keuka?
Before the present channel was dug, the mouth of the Lake Keuka outlet was about 50 feet further west, toward the West Lake road, than now. A little swale in back of the beach shows where the original outlet bed was. The stream then meandered in a wide curve through the present march, which at that time was a wooded area. The delta across the outlet at the mouth of Kimball creek now directs the Keuka water flow into the marsh where it follows somewhat the original stream bed.
17) What Penn Yan apartment house was built for and used as a church?
The dwelling at 300 Main street, now occupied by five tenants and owned by Mayor Mervin J. Rapalee, was originally a Wesleyan church and is shown as such on the Penn Yan map printed in 1854. Another map in 1896 indicates that it was then the residence of C.B. Struble.
Rev. Benjamin Bradford served as pastor of the church at one time. His grandson, Rev. Arthur Bradford, is now pastor of the strong Congregational church in Providence, R.I., and his wife is a sister of Mrs. Walter A. Hendricks of Penn Yan.
18) What house has a front door opening directly on one street and back (or opposite) door opening directly onto another street?
Two or three houses near Five Points have front doors facing on Seneca street and rear doors, at the opposite end of the house, facing on East Elm street. The last village directory lists the Seneca street entrances as the front doors with Seneca street numbers.
19) In what nearby city is a rose garden named for a former Penn Yan man?
Sunday the Syracuse Rose society presented its annual rose show and the crowning of a Rose queen in Mills Memorial gardens of Thornden park, located near the Syracuse university campus.
These rose gardens were originated and managed by Dr. Edmund M. Mills, who served as pastor of the First Methodist church in Penn Yan from 1881 to ’84, leaving the local pulpit to become district superintendent. Rose culture was his hobby and as a plaque in the park indicates, he was a recognized authority on roses. Dr. Mills died in Santa Ana, Calif., March 15, 1933.
20) Were are numbers from 1 up cut in the stones of the sidewalk? And why?
The walk on the west side of Elm Street running along the Lake View cemetery is comprised of stones into which on the inside edge has been cut, about every 100 feet, numbers running from one up. Can anyone tell us when the numbers were put there and for what purpose?
21) Where is Penn Yan’s old steam powered fire engine pumper and the old hand pumper?
The old Silsby steamer, made in Seneca Falls, went into salvage during the last war. It was purchased in the fall of 1872, the year of the Big Penn Yan conflagration.
Stored in a shed on the north edge of Lake View cemetery is an old brake engine, Excelsior No. 2. The Excelsior company was formed in 1854, the year the downtown engine house was erected, and the break engine, the third purchased by this company, was then acquired.
22) Where is the oldest house in Penn Yan?
The dwelling at 105 Cherry street, owned by Miss Ida Caviston and now occupied the past nine years by Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Burley, is supposed to be the oldest residence in Penn Yan. It was built by Samuel Lawrence about 1810 for his bride.
23) Where is the official marker showing Penn Yan’s altitude?
The only official bench marker in the series, running from Dresden to Bath, that is located in Penn Yan is a bronze plate embedded in the limestone water table of Penn Yan Academy. Under the windows of Principal Donald Grants office. The reading on the marker indicates that it is exactly 767 feet above sea level but Owen Hoban, civil engineer and contractor, says recent maps correct the reading for that particular marker to 768.497 feet above sea level.
24) Where is the public drinking fountain that stood at the four corners years ago?
On the side of the Deckerman residence, 127½ East Main street, next door to the office of the New York State police, is a small fountain – rebuilt from the public drinking fountain erected at the corner of Main and Jacob (East Elm) streets just 50 years ago as a community service by the Loyal Temperance legion. The fountain was an ornate affair intended to serve both man and canine. Difficulty with the valve led to discard of the fountain from its conspicuous place at the four corners and eventually it turned up, greatly changed in appearance, as now, in the lawn of the Deckerman brothers.
25) Where was there a movie studio?
The E.R. Ramsey property at 414 North Main street, just acquired by the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial hospital for its expansion program, provided the studios for the Penn Yan Film corporation. Buildings of the pliaduct factory, started in January of 1910 … provided studios for the local branch of the infant movie industry five years later. The feature-length film, “Wheat and Tares,” shown at the Elmwood last fall, was one of the products of the local studio. Several others were scheduled for production when Mr. Ramsey’s death in an auto accident June 13, 1916, halted all plans for future filming.
Students and friends of the old Keuka college and institute as well as the public will have an opportunity to view the 32-year old film showing many Keuka college and Penn Yan scenes as background and numerous present residents as actors and extras. This courtesy screening of the film will be at the Elmwood theatre at 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 16.
26) Where is Penn Yan’s subway?
Penn Yan’s subway extends under the sidewalk from the corner of Main and Water streets to the Main Street bridge and dam. It is used only by workmen, but has ample room since Main street from Water to the bridge is many feet higher than when it first spanned the old Crooked Lake canal and outlet and there were no buildings where the Chronicle-Express office and neighboring blocks are now situated. The “subway” is some 60 years old.
27) Where and when was Penn Yan’s first grade crossing elimination?
Before 1883 Hamilton street entered Jacob street, now called East Elm, just east of what is now the Pennsylvania apartments and Market Basket store run by Harold Seager. The crossing over the railroad, built in 1851, was eliminated after some 22 years of use by swinging Hamilton street a bit east, starting at the junction of Chestnut street and making the intersection with Jacob just east of the tracks, as at present. The remaining small section of Hamilton street on the west side of the tracks and station is therefore known as Hamilton place.
28) What was the first street to be paved and when?
Jacob street, now East Elm, was the first street paved with brick in Penn Yan, the work being done in 1906.
The old picture of Jacob street … was taken shortly after the paving was completed. A circus announcement on the Central house porch dates the showing as June 13. Merrill Beach transformed the Central house into the present Universal building about 1920. That forced Henry Ross to give up the open-air peanut, fruit, and candy stand which he had been operating for some 30 years. Frank Wheeler’s tire shop is at present using as an approach the location of this stand, which Mr. Ross took over years earlier from James Lord.
Immediately beyond the fruit stand was Abe Masten’s book store, now the American Legion building and the location being taken over by Deckerman brothers. Careful study of the picture shows that Dr. Frank Sampson had not yet erected the Sampson theatre, now Jewett’s garage, and that the Masonic temple, built in 1914, was still a dream only.
Conspicuous, of course, is the “Toonerville.” Tracks for the Penn Yan, Keuka Park and Branchport Electric Railway were laid on Jacob street in the spring of 1897 and torn up in the fall on 1936.
29) What early Penn Yan school was once located in the business section?
In the Chronicle-Express window is a seat, owned by Henry Carey and used in the Maiden Lane school. The old school is now but a memory. Once, however, it was the mecca of young Penn Yan at this time of year. The seat was found in the cupola when the building, long used as a hitching barn, was razed to make room for the present parking station.
When Thomas H. Lock, a bookbinder, came from New York city to live in Penn Yan, he named the short thoroughfare connected Main and Liberty streets, after the famous Maiden lane of New York. In 1842 the school was erected on the south side, serving to educate many of the early residents during the next half century. In 1893 it was abandoned as the present Liberty Street school was erected.
The late Owen Hoban converted it into a hitching stable, which in later years was run by Ed McConnell. … E.G. Hopkins then bought the barn and razed it to make the Maiden Lane Parking station. The big elm recently cut down was the last of the trees that furnished shade on the school playground.
30) What variety of apple was started and named in Penn Yan?
“Believe it or not” the Wagener apple was developed in an orchard planted by Abraham Wagener, “founder of Penn Yan.” When he built his “palatial” residence, known as the “Mansion House,” at the foot of Main street – the orchard spread from the rear of the home, now the Knapp Hotel, to Elm street. Erected in 1816 as a home, the “Mansion House” later became an inn and was rebuilt into the present structure in 1897 by Oliver C. Knapp.
The State Department of Agriculture in its report, “The Apples of New York,” says concerning the Wagener apple: “in the spring of 1791 George Wheeler brought with him from Dover, Dutchess county, N.Y., to Penn Yan, Yates county, a quantity of apple seeds which he sowed that spring in the nursery upon his farm which he was then reclaiming from the wilderness.
“In 1796, Abraham Wagener, from whom the name of the apple is derived, brought this seedling nursery and planted trees from it upon his place in what is now the Village of Penn Yan. In 1848 it was remarked that the old tree was producing an annual and abundant yield of beautiful and delicious fruit. It continued to bear full crops till about the year 1865. After it was brought to the notice of the State Agricultural society, the Wagener soon began to be propagated quite extensively, and it was since become widely disseminated throughout the country.
“In 1892 Wagener was being offered quite generally by nurserymen throughout the country except in the Northern Mississippi valley, the Rocky Mountain region and the plains from Nebraska to Texas. It is generally known throughout New York but is not planted extensively in any section of the state.”