The Phoenix Glass Company of Monaca (formerly Phillipsburg),
Pennsylvania, was the pioneer in the manufacture of fancy and art glass in the United States. It was well known for its art glass, colored glassware, Dithridge chimneys, engraved and etched lamp shades, and opalescent glassware during the 1880's, 1890's and the early part of the 20th Century. From 1887 to 1894, Phoenix Glass produced some beautiful brilliant cut glass. This is a brief early history of Phoenix Glass that includes some pictures of their rich cut glass.
Phoenix Glass Company began construction of its glass factory in
early 1880 at Phillipsburg, Beaver County, Rmnsylvania. The glass factory was close to the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad and opposite the Rochester Tumbler Company. The factory was in operation by August 1880 with its eleven pots being made by the Phoenix Glass Pot Works of T. & T. J. Maloney. Phoenix Glass Company began with the manufacture of flint chimneys and shades, and by the end of the year, the company employed 160 men and boys. Mr. Andrew Howard was the founder and the company's first president, and Mr. W I. Miller served as secretary-treasurer.
The earliest Phoenix Glass Company advertisement that I located
was in the March 31, 1881 Crockery and Glass Journal, advertising pure lead glass, oil annealed lamp chimneys and reflectors, and listing an office at 87 Water Street, Pittsburgh. By September 1881, Phoenix Glass had assumed the chimney business of the Dithridge Chimney Company, Pittsburgh, with the purchase of their chimney patent, molds, and the lease of their factory. Mr. E. D. Dithridge became Phoenix's manager.
In early 1882, Phoenix Glass began manufacturing etched and
engraved glass globes which didn't interfere with their output of fine
chimneys. Trade journals began recommending to buyers that they
patronize Phoenix for their quality and that they were" noted for promptitude, enterprise and square dealings." Later in the year, they produced decorated and colored shades, engraved and ordinary chimneys, porcelain and white shades, and opal and flint globes. In the Fall of 1882, Phoenix installed a twelve pot teazer furnace, and built a three story brick building for their new cutting and decorating shops.
During the Summer of 1883, Phoenix was producing new and additional products such as pressed glass berry and ice cream sets in hobnail and rosette diamond pattern, toilet sets, stem ware, spoon holders and jelly dishes. Their regular lines of chimneys, decorated shades, electric light shades, and other specialties were doing an excellent trade .. By Fall, there was an exceptional demand for their electric light globes that were shipped to all parts of the country. Phoenix, by year's end, disposed of its tableware molds and confined its efforts to engraved chimneys, decorated shades and other specialties in color, crackled and fancy glass, and opalescent glassware.
In early 1884, Phoenix Glass opened an office at 58 Murray Street, New York. On February 4, 1884, tragedy struck the Phoenix Glass Company. Its entire factory at Phillipsburg was burned to the ground for a loss of $130,000. Phoenix's management immediately leased the nearby vacant Doyle glass factory and within weeks, they had resumed production and filling large orders. During April they relocated their New York office and show room to 39 Barclay Street. In April, Mr. Howard reported they would not buy the Doyle factory or relocate to New Brighton, Pa., but would rebuild on their original site. New coal deposits were close to the original site and the furnaces were only 'slightly damaged. Also, gas fields nearby were being developed. The factory was rebuilt by August 1884, with the pots being installed and fired up. By September, the company was in full production. During October, Phoenix Glass installed natural gas in their glory holes, lears, and one of their furnaces. During the remainder of 1884, Phoenix Glass had an increase in sales of colored glassware, decorated lamp shades and globes.
Throughout 1885, Phoenix Glass produced colored wares, decorated
shades and chimneys, and decorated and engraved gas and kerosene globes. Their blown ware of water, sugar and cream and berry sets were artistic in design and resplendent in color. The colored ware at this time had designs ground through the colored surface so as to show the crystal beneath. Business was so good, they opened an office in London. Phoenix Glass was so profitable that the stockholders in April voted to increase the capital stock from $150,000 to $250,000. During 1885, Phoenix Glass purchased the old Doyle factory where they would produce only chimneys. Also, Phoenix manufactured Webb art glass.
During 1886, Phoenix Glass introduced new lines in "Peach," "Ivory,"
and "Venetian" glass, enriched with enameling and other forms of decoration. Phoenix relocated its Pittsburgh office and salesroom to the Stevenson Building at 43 Sixth Avenue, and opened new offices in New York at 729 Broadway.
Although as early as November 12, 1885, Phoenix advertised cut, etched, engraved and decorated art effects, not until May 20, 1886, did their first advertisement for "rich cut globes, shades," and other cut and decorated goods appear in the Crockery and Glass Journal. Their Mandarin glass did exceptionally well during 1886 as did their assortment of globes, shades and bulbs in colored glass. Also, cut globes in Opalescent were produced. Clark's Fairy Lamps were produced by Phoenix as Clark's sole United States manufacturer. Invention patent No. 345,264 by Godfried A. j. Tietz was assigned to
Phoenix Glass for the manufacture of decorated hollow ware. Design patent No. 16,997 by John E. Miller was issued on November 23, 1886 to protect a design having a configuration of Maltese Crosses that has been attributed to Phoenix (illustration 1)
January and February 1887 were extremely busy with Phoenix Glass's business far exceeding the same period in 1886. The specialties, fancy goods and tablewares were exceptional in design and quality. New designs in glass globes of crystal with etching and the top rim colored in several shades were produced along with melon shaped globes, and
crystal globes that were half cut and half etched in regular design all around. On March IS, 1887, John E. Miller had his second design patent issued, No. 17,186, for a cut glass tankard/pitcher. This patent has not previously been shown in any prior publications, but since Miller's design patent No. 16,997 has been attributed to Phoenix Glass, this one should probably be so attributed (illustration 2).
On April 4, 1887, a Phoenix Glass Company advertisement appeared in the Crockery and Glass Journal that stated "we have recently added Rich Cut Glass and assure our customers that these goods will be equal to the very best productions of either home or foreign manufacturers." By June, Phoenix Glass was increasing its work force in their glass cutting department, and had on display at their Sixth Street (Pittsburgh) showroom, "an exquisite specimen of cut work, in the shape of a large bowl." Also, Phoenix Glass announced that it would "make the manufacture of cut glass one of the features of their establishment," and of their Fall production.
Phoenix was able to employ sufficient experienced hands and by August was producing only special orders of cut glass. Phoenix in September began cutting tableware and had the largest assortment of those goods in the country. Through the end of the year, Phoenix did an immense trade in fine, fancy and cut glass goods. All year long, fairy lamps sold exceptionally well, and three invention patents were issued that were assigned to Phoenix Glass: Patent No. 363,190 by Joseph Webb issued May 17, 1887 for the manufacture of fancy glassware; Patent No. 591,984 by William E Malloy issued October 19, 1887 for a globe holder; and Patent No. 596,692 by George F. Wehr issued December 14, 1887 for a globe, chimney and shade support.
An early January 1888 advertisement of Phoenix Glass states that "Our new department of Rich Cut Glassware is already celebrated - being of
remarkable brilliancy, rich in design, and the highest quality of workmanship." Other 1888 advertisements of Phoenix Glass said their new lines for that season were ready and the" attention of the trades is called to our production in Rich Cut Glassware, of a brilliancy
and design that is unrivalled."
In March, Phoenix Glass announced four cut glass cuttings "of rare merit and design": Phoenix, Webb, Tewel, and Sunbeam. A tankard in the Sunbeam pattern was described as being as fine a piece of cut work as was ever made. By late Summer, Phoenix Glass announced their Passion pattern for cut glass wares. Phoenix Glass was producing pure lead glass for its products. All through 1888, Phoenix manufactured a rich assortment of fine cut wares, comprising tablewares, ornamental goods, globes and other articles. Also, they introduced their new line of art glass, cameo glass. The trade journals described Phoenix cut glass as being "unparalled in elegance and beauty of design." On October 23, 1888, design patent No. 18,697 was issued to Joseph Hill which has also been called Maltese Crosses, and attributed to Phoenix Glass Company (illustration 3).
A full-page Phoenix Glass advertisement in the October 4,1888 Crockery and Glass Journal shows a water carafe in an unidentified pattern (advertisement reduced in size). This advertisement was shown in that publication the first week of each month through January 1891 (illustration 4).
The photo in illustration 5 is a trade card showing a whiskey jug in the Jewel pattern. Although the trade card is unidentified, this Jewel
pattern matches the Jewel pattern of a globe in a November 1904 Phoenix Glass Company Catalog Number 16, Plate 10, and the pattern for a bowl identified as being cut by Phoenix Glass (no patternnamed) in a March 23,1892 article in China, Glass and Lamps (illustration 6),(illustration 7).
Reproduced from “The Hobstar”, February 2002.
“The Hobstar” is a monthly periodical published by the American Cut Glass Association. Members of the association can access the complete archives from 1978 to present