seen from India
seen from United States

seen from Germany

seen from Russia

seen from United States
seen from United Kingdom

seen from Ireland

seen from United States

seen from Croatia
seen from China

seen from United States
seen from Russia

seen from Germany

seen from Germany
seen from Brazil
seen from Canada
seen from Italy
seen from Germany
seen from Ukraine

seen from Algeria
Flooding in #EDSA #CampAguinaldo (NB) has subsided after almost 2 hours. It's now passable to all kinds of vehicles as of 2:17 pm. Other photos showed the same place submerged in water due to heavy #rains taken at 12:50 pm and 11:50 am, respectively on Saturday, September 23.
📸: @MMDA
2019 Crucifixion in San Fernando, Pampanga, photo by Eloisa Lopez for Reuters
During the end of the Lenten Season, the Philippine Catholics would observe the Semana Santa (Holy Week) with the Visita Iglesia, by taking a pilgrimage to seven churches to recite the fourteen Stations of the Cross. The Via Crusis or Way of the Cross depicts fourteen events in the Passion and Death of Jesus Christ. Although the Via Crusis finds its roots with the Via Dolorosa (Way of Sorrow) in Jerusalem during the Christian Western Roman Empire, it was revived by Saint Francis of Assisi (1181-1226). By 1686 Pope Innocent XI (born Benedetto Odescalchi, 1611-1689) issued a decree that the Franciscan order the right to install stations within their churches, and Pope Clement XII (born Lorenzo Corsini, 1652-1740) extended that right to churches in 1731.
1964 Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral, Camp Aguinaldo, Altar
The original Franciscan Via Crusis was practiced starting in the 17th Century, and it began with Jesus sentenced to death by the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate (Luke 23:13-25 and John 19:1-16) as the first station, and ends with Jesus buried at the tomb provided by Joseph of Arimathea (John 19:38-42, Luke 23:50-56, Mark 15:42-47, and Matthew 27:57-61). In 1991, Pope John Paul II (born Karol Józef Wojtyła, 1920-2005) introduces the Scriptural Way of the Cross, which starts with Jesus’ lamentations and betrayal at the Garden of Gethsemane (Mark 14:32-50 and Luke 44-22:43) and ends with the burial at the tomb. However, in 1992 the Philippine Catholic Church offered the New Way of the Cross, which begins with Jesus Last Supper with his Apostles (John 13:1-17:26, Luke 22:7-39, Mark 14:12-26, and Matthew 26:17-30) and ends with the Resurrection of Jesus (John 20:1-20, Luke 24:1-12, Mark 16:1-8, and Matthew 28:1-20). Several churches include a fifteenth station of the Resurrection of Jesus to their traditional Franciscan Via Crusis.
1989 Ramon Orlina’s The Risen Christ, Napoleon Abueva’s Altar, and Eduardo Castrillo’s Holy Spirit Stained Glass Window – EDSA Shrine
In observance of the Visita Iglesia, the faithful will recite two Stations of the Cross per church, while the extra pious would recite one station per church to cover a total of fourteen parishes. And in the Visita Iglesia of the Quezon City section of the Epifanio Cristóbal de los Santos Avenue (EDSA for short), the 17.7 kilometer route starts in the Spanish period Balintawak district in the northwest, to cover churches along or near the EDSA, and end in the equally historical intersection of ESDA and Don Francisco “Paco” Barcinas Ortigas Sr. Avenue.
Saint Joseph the Worker Parish, Balintawak
1959 Saint Joseph the Worker Parish, Balintawak
The Saint Joseph the Worker Parish is located at the southwestern part of the Balintawak Cloverleaf Exchange, which was the site where it was originally believed that the historical revolutionary Cry of Balintawak declaring independence from Spain, in 1896. To mark that historical event, a sculpture “Monumento sa mga Bayani ng 1896” (Monument to the Heroes of 1896) by Ramon Lazaro Martinez (1869-1950) was erected at the site in 1911. By 1940, the farming community in the area erected as small chapel a few hundred meters from the monument, which would be declared as the San Jose de Balintawak Parish in 1959. However, when the Balintawak Cloverleaf Exchange began and completed construction in 1968, the church and the monument had to be moved. The statue was transferred to the University of the Philippines Diliman campus, while the parish was moved to its present location and renamed as the Saint Joseph the Worker Parish. The new church is an interesting mix to the then trendy Brutalist style and the traditional Baroque, until its renovation that started in 2015. Other interesting additions to the church are the three Gnostic-styled paintings of the life of Saint Joseph at the “dome” by the former parish priest, Father Emmanuel “Pong” E. del Rosario.
Diocesan Shrine of Santo Niño Parish, Barangay Ramon Magsaysay
1978-1983 Diocesan Shrine of Santo Niño Parish, Bago Bantay
The area of Barangay Ramon Magsaysay was originally part of Barrio Bago Bantay (New Guardians), which was a pre-World War II (1939-1945) community that was named after the US Naval Radio Station on the corner of Misamis Street and North–South Circumferential Road (now EDSA). During the reconstruction of Manila, after the devastation of the 1945 Battle of Manila, families were slowly relocated to Quezon City by the government’s People’s Homesite and Housing Corporation (PHHC). Bago Bantay became part of the PHHC’s Project 8, under the administration of President Ramon del Fierro Magsaysay Sr. (1907-1957), which the barangay would eventually be named after by 1969. Most of the relocatees were from the Manila district of Tondo, which brought in the notorious Oxo, Sigue-Sigue and Bahala Na criminal gangs that formed in the 1940s. The gangs brought crime and territorial battles in Barrio Bago Bantay, which caused the innocent residents to call on their faith to intercede to end the violence. The residents established the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel in 1957, and named it after the Christ Child (Santo Niño) in 1962, who was the patron saint of Tondo and its 1572 parish, the Santo Niño de Tondo Church. When the chapel was declared as a parish in 1967, its first parish priest, Fr. Miguel P. Nuguid, campaigned for the construction of a new church building. Fr. Nuguid not just tapped into the parishioners, but to the leaders of the gangs, to unite and raise funds for the new church; which would thus end the violence. The new church was completed in 1983 on Bukidnon Street, and was designed by a local resident, Arch. Juanito M. Santiago. Two more locals, Jess Perez and Jim de Tagle, created the mural of the “The Blessed Santo Niño and the Holy Trinity” at the nathex, and a painting of the Santo Niño Parish at the right transept. In 1976, the Santo Niño Parish was declared Diocesan Church, when the Niño Parish Vicariate was created under the Diocese of Manila, and later transferred to the Archdiocese of Cubao in 2003; and declared a National Shrine in 2016.
Christ the King Parish, Veterans Village, Project 7
1961 Christ the King Parish, Project 7
Veterans Village was first part of Barangay Bago Bantay, as the government’s post-war relocation Homesite housing program Project 7. Named South Bago Bantay in 1955, the 52.7114 hectare community was one a rice farming community, and became a housing program for World War II veterans, and was thus renames as Veterans Village in 1956. By the completion of the village in 1957, a small chapel was erected and administered by the Santuario de San Pedro Bautista Church. Soon the local Holy Fame Society and Catholic Women s League started campaigning to the Diocese of Manila for their own parish, and in 1961 the Christ the King Parish was established. The current church is located at the corner of Calumpit and Bansalangin Streets, with a modernist approach to the mission style architecture. Within the church are two reproductions of murals of the 1957 Stations of the Cross by National Artist Carlos “Botong” Villaluz Francisco (1914-1969), from the Far Eastern University’s Immaculate Concepcion Chapel. And at the nave of the church is the inscription of “Qvia Rex Sum Ego” (I am King) in marble, which is lifted partially from the Bible’s John 18:37, where Jesus Christ responds to the interrogation of Roman Governor Pontius Pilate saying “Tu dicis quia rex sum” (You say that I am king).
Santa Rita de Cascia Parish, Philamlife Homes
1957-1993 Arturo Mañalac -Santa Rita de Cascia Parish
Following the government’s People’s Homesite and Housing Corporation (PHHC) lead, the Philippine-American Life Insurance Company decided to build a residential compound for its employees in Quezon City, and opened the Philamlife Homes in 1955; which would be declared a barangay in 1975. The 54 hectare community was comprised of more affluent families, and were thus able to have a chapel constructed by 1955 on East Maya Drive. The chapel was named the Santa Rita de Cascia Chapel, after Italian Augustinian nun, Saint Rita of Cascia (born Margherita Lotti, 1381-1457), patron saint of families and the impossible miracles, hinting at the new lives of the residents after the devastation of the war. In 1956, the construction of a new church on South Lawin Avenue, and was was designed in the mission style architecture by Arch. Arturo M. Mañalac (1915-1990). With the completion of the new church in 1957, it was declared as parish with the consecration of the church. In 1974, the Diocese of Manila declared the church as the seat of the Vicariate of Santa Rita de Cascia, and was transferred to the Diocese of Cubao, in 2003. In 1993, the parishioners renovated the church, completely changing Arch. Mañalac’s design, for a larger structure, but still reflecting a mission style design.
Hearts of Mary and Jesus Parish, West Triangle
1992 Hearts of Mary and Jesus Parish, West Triangle
Established as a barangay in 1975, the area of Barangay West Triangle was part of the Morellos Compound , and it was initially developed by the government’s People’s Homesite and Housing Corporation (PHHC) in the early 1950s, but the construction was continued by Embassy Garden Homes of Conrado Francia Benitez (1889-1971) and Francisca Tirona-Benitez (1886-1974), as a residential community for the employees of the Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP). In 1956, the community was inaugurated along with the opening of the Benitez’s Jose Abad Santos Memorial School (JASMS), at the border of Philam Homes and Barrio West Triangle, along Highway 54 (now EDSA). By the 1960s, the residents of Barrio West Triangle erected the Chapel of the Nativity, with masses administered by priests for the nearby Saint Rita de Cascia Parish. After the chapel was declared as the Hearts of Mary and Jesus Parish in 1988, the residents pooled their resources to build a new church, which was completed in 1993, at the corner of Daily Mirror and Bulletin streets.
Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral, Camp Aguinaldo
1964 Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral, Camp Aguinaldo
Within Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo, the General Headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral stands as the seat of the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines (MOP). The MOP acts as the diocese of all Catholic personnel of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), the Bureau of Jail Management & Penology (BJMP), and the Veterans Memorial Medical Center (VMMC). Completed in 1964, the then- Philippine Military Vicariate church was named after Spaniard, San Íñigo López de Loyola (1491-1556), patron saint of soldiers.
Shrine of Mary, Queen of Peace, Our Lady of EDSA
1989 Shrine of Mary, Queen of Peace, Our Lady of EDSA
The Shrine of Mary, Queen of Peace: Our Lady of EDSA Church (EDS Shrine for short) was built as a monument to the peaceful 1986 EDSA People Power Revolution was believed to be an act of divine intervention that saw a bloodless ouster of President Ferdinand Emmanuel Edralin Marcos Sr. (1917-1989). Completed in 1989 at the border of San Juan and Quezon City, the EDSA Shrine is not just a place of worship and a memorial to a historical event, it is also a showcase of the creative talents of the Filipino, with the architecture by the National Artist, Arch. Francisco “Bobby” Tronqued Mañosa (1931-2019), additional work by Arch. Dominic Galicia; sculpture by National Artist, Napoleón Isabelo “Billy” Veloso Abueva (1930-2018), as well as other works by Virginia Ty-Navarro (1924-1996), Eduardo De Los Santos Castrillo (1942-2016), Ramon Gahol Orlina (born 1944), Nemesio “Nemi” R. Miranda Jr. (born 1949), and Manuel Casal; and paintings Benjamin Pagsisihan Alano (1920-1991).
1959 Saint Joseph the Worker Parish, Altar & Dome
1992 Hearts of Mary and Jesus Parish, West Triangle, Altar
1993 Santa Rita de Cascia Parish, Altar and Nave
The 17.7 kilometer route of the ESDA Visita Iglesia is a tour of Quezon City’s revolutionary past, to its post-war Homesite developments, and ends in a historical location that showcased the Filipino’s bravery and unity in times of uncertainty. And in all these historical moments, it was the Filipino’s faith in their selves and God, which pushed them to forge on for the country and the development of Quezon City. That faith and sacrifice is also felt in the observation of the Via Crusis, as the people look to Christ for inspiration, hope, and salvation.
Quezon City: Visita Iglesia of EDSA During the end of the Lenten Season, the Philippine Catholics would observe the Semana Santa…
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: The Hall of the Chiefs of Staff at the AFP Museum, Camp Aguinaldo
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: The Hall of the Chiefs of Staff at the AFP Museum, Camp Aguinaldo
1995-2012 AFP Museum
At the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, in Camp Emilio Aguinaldo, Quezon city, there are many displays from the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), since the establishment of the Philippine Army since 1935. Aside from the artifacts, photographs, and dioramas; there are many paintings that depict events in the Philippine military history. Among these are portraits of…
View On WordPress
1995 AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, Lobby
Aside from the Philippine Centennial student competition paintings at the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, in Camp Emilio Aguinaldo, there are many artworks in the building by noted artists and masters. The most obvious among these is the bust of the highly decorated former Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and Secretary of the Department of Transportation of the Philippines, Gen. Arturo Tiongson Enrile (1940-1998), by the National Artist for Sculpture, Napoleón Abueva. The bust was installed in the lobby in 1999, to coincide with the renaming of the building as the Bulwagang Heneral Arturo T. Enrile (Gen. Arturo T. Enrile Hall).
1998 Napoleon Abueva – Gen, Arturo T. Enrile
Napoleón Isabelo “Billy” Veloso Abueva (1930-2018) studied at the U.P. School of Fine Arts, under National Artist, Guillermo Estrella Tolentino (1890-1976), who was then the director of the school. Although trained in the classical style of sculpting, Abueva broke from its mold and began experimenting on modernist styles and techniques. Soon he became known as and Godfather of Philippine Modern Sculpture. Aside from the many historical monuments that are found all over the Philippines, Abueva has also been commissioned to create sculptures around the world. In his youth, he was awarded the Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Philippines (TOYM) award; which would herald more awards and distinctions in his life. He was proclaimed National Artist for Sculpture in 1976, making him the youngest recipient of this distinction. And just like his mentor, Abueva also served as dean of the U.P. College of Fine Arts.
1995 AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, Entrance
Flanking both sides of the main entrance to the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater are two large untitled vertical murals by Ephraim Samson, which depict native Philippine flora and fauna. The most recognizable animals in the paintings are the Tamaraw (Bubalus mindorensis), the Philippine Sambar Deer (Rusa marianna), the Philippine Eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi), the Kalangay or Philippine Cockatoo (Cacatua haematuropygia), the White-bellied Sea Eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster), the Kalaw or Rufous Hornbill (Buceros hydrocorax) and Writhed Hornbill (Rhabdotorrhinus leucocephalus), the Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax), the Palawan Peacock Pheasant (Polyplectron emphanum), the Black-faced Spoonbill (Platalea minor), the Philippine Serpent Eagle (Spilornis holospilus), the Brahminy Kite (Haliastur indus), and various indigenous doves and kingfishers. For native plants there are the Nipa (Nypa fruticans), the Betel (Areca catechu), the Gabi (Colocasia esculenta), the Narra (Pterocarpus indicus / Red Sandalwood tree), the Sampalok (Tamarindus indica), the Kalachuchi (Plumeria rubra / temple flower), the Fiji Fan Palm (Pritchardia pacifica), and Taraw Palm (Livistona saribus).
1996 Ephraim Samson – Philippine Flora and Fauna
1996 Ephraim Samson – Philippine Flora and Fauna
Ephraim Samson (born 1947) was inspired towards an art career through local comic books, and thus took graphic art classes in high school, then collegiate studies at the University of Santo Tomas. After graduating, Samson first found work in creating local film posters and billboards, while active with the Saturday Group of artists in the ’70s and ’80s. By the mid-1980s, Samson migrated to the USA, and started working at Marvel Comics in New York City, before transferring to Guam in 1996. In 2001, Samson moved his family back to the US mainland, and settled in Stockton, California; where he joined the Stockton Art League. Samson has held over 17 solo exhibitions in the Philippines and abroad, as well as hundreds of group shows. In his career, Samson was recognized with the 2002 Best of Show at the 42nd Lodi Art Show, and the Elsie Mae Goodwin Award of Excellence at the 51st annual Stockton Art League Exhibition. In 2017, Samson released the book “Portraits of Filipino Artists”, published by the Crucible Gallery.
1995 Impy Pilapil – Waterfalls
Also at the lobby, the 1995 glass sculpture “Waterfalls” by Imelda “Impy” Manalaysay Pilapil (born 1949) acts as screen to the entrance of the Multi-Purpose Theater. Impy Pilapil is recognized worldwide for her mostly glass sculptures and installations, where she first honed her craft at the University of the Philippines (U.P.) College of Fine Arts in 1968, and continued further studies at the Academia Italiana in Rome and at the Pratt Graphic Institute in New York. A versatile artist, Pilapil has done printmaking, but is more known for her sculpture in glass and mixed media; winning many competitions in both disciplines. Among her major recognitions, Pilapil was given the Thirteen Artists Aware by the Cultural Center of the Philippines (1976), the 100 Outstanding Women of the Philippines (2002), and the Outstanding Citizen Award of Cavite (2004).
1995-2012 AFP Museum
Upon entering the AFP Museum, the first object that greets visitors is the large 1996 relief sculpture by Apolinario Bulaong, entitled “The Filipino Quest for Freedom and Security.” At the left side of the artwork features many Filipino heroes; such as the Mactan chieftain Lapu-lapu (1491-1542) whose forces slew Ferdinand Magellan; the Ilocano freedom fighters Diego Pineda Silang (1730-1763) and María Josefa Gabriela Cariño de Silang (1731-1763); the 1872 Gomburza Martyrs of Fr. Mariano Gómez de los Ángeles (1799-1872), Fr. José Apolonio Burgos y García (1837-1872), and Fr. Jacinto Zamora y del Rosario (1835-1872); the reformist and National Hero, Dr. José Protasio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda (1861-1896); the founding of the Katipunan Revolution against Spain at its supremo, Andrés de Castro Bonifacio (1863-1897); the “Brains of the Katipunan,” Emilio Jacinto (1875-1899); the Mother of the Philippine Revolution, Melchora “Tandang Sora” Aquino de Ramos (1812-1919); the Caviteño war hero and 1st President of the Philippines, General Emilio Famy Aguinaldo (1869-1964); and the martyr of Tirad Pass, General Gregorio Hilario del Pilar y Sempio (1875-1899). At the right side of the artwork is a large image of Inang Bayan (Motherland), while the whole sculpture is bisected by a coconut tree that represents the Puno ng Buhay (Tree of Life). Behind Inang Bayan are several scenes of Philippine history; such as the Barasoain Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, which represents the founding of the First Philippine Republic in the municipality of Malolos, on January 21, 1899; the battles of the Philippine-American War of February 4, 1899 to July 2, 1902; the guerrilla warfare of the Hukbong Laban sa Hapon (Anti-Japanese Army) in World War II (1939-1945), the 112 kilometer Bataan Death March of 1942, and the EDSA People Power Revolution of February 22-25, 1986.
1996 Apolinario Bulaong – The Filipino Quest for Freedom and Security
Apolinario “KaInar” Paraiso Bulaong (1930s-2013) was a student of Guillermo Tolentino, at the U.P. School of Fine Arts. A contemporary of Napoleon Abueva, Bulaong dabbled in both classical and modernist styles of sculpture. However, Bulaong focused his efforts in creating monuments for his province of Bulacan; such as the Pulang Lupa sculptural mural and the equestrian sculpture of Gregorio del Pilar in Bulacan.
1990 Carlos Valino Jr. – Tejeros Convention
Placed beside the many artifacts is Carlos Valino’s 1990 painting of the “Tejeros Convention,” which features the the Magdalo and Magdiwang of factions of the Katipunan revolution against the Spanish Occupation (1565-1898) of the Philippines convening at the district of Tejeros, in the city of San Francisco de Malabon (now General Mariano Closas Trías City), province of Cavite, on the 27th of March, 1897. During that congress, the Philippine revolutionary government was established, where General Emilio Famy Aguinaldo (1869-1964) was elected as the first Philippine president, over the Katipunan founder, Andrés de Castro Bonifacio (1863-1897).
Carlos Perez Valino Jr. (1930s-2008) is a noted classical painter of historical scenes, as well as his illustrations of various books and publications. Valino started teaching at the U.P. School of Fine arts in 1958, and even served as the College Secretary from 1965 to 1969. He retired from teaching in 1991, and continued his pursuits in painting and illustration, until his death in 2008.
Another painting on display is Rene Robles’ 1998 “The Japanese Occupation.” The artwork features evens of the World War II Japanese invasion of the Philippines, which started on the 8th of December, 1941; and ended with the surrender of the allied American and Filipino forces on the 8th of May, 1942. Part of the artwork are images of the Battle of Bataan (7 January – 9 April 1942) and the Battle of Corregidor (May 5-6, 1942). After the Fall of Bataan, on April 9, 1942, around 80,000 American and Filipino prisoners of war were forced to travel by foot for 112 kilometers, in the infamous Bataan Death March, from Saysain Pointand Mariveles in Bataan Province to Camp O’Donnell, in Capas, Tarlac Province. While the march was continuing, Lieutenant General Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright IV (1883-1953) surrenders all remaining American troops, to General Honma Masaharu (1887-1946), on May 6, 1942. While around 18,000 Filipino and 650 American soldiers died during the march, survivors of other battles were also locked in makeshift internment camps, such as the University of Santo Tomas campus.
Ireneo “René” San Agustian Robles, Jr. (born 1950) is a both naturalist figurative and abstract painter, from Lucena City, Quezon Province. Robles studied first at the National Teachers College, where he was recognized as the Outstanding Graphic Artist of the Year, in 1969. Soon Robles would transfer to the University of Santo Thomas’ College of Architecture & Fine Arts as a Rector’s Scholar, where he was honored with the university’s Gold Medal for Excellence decades later. Robles migrated to the United States of America, and began practicing his art, before continuing his education at the National Academy of Design and the Art Students League in New York City. While living in NYC, Robles develop his style called Assertionism. Moving around the USA, Robles established himself with each city he lived with, joining New Jersey Visual Arts Foundation, the New York Oil Pastel Association, and the Californian Pastel Society of the West Coast. During his stay in the USA, Robles was honored with the 1982 San Francisco’s Gold Key to the City, San Francisco, the 1986 New Jersey Pine Shores Art Association’s Plaque of Appreciation, the 1987 City of Houston Medal, the 1992 Somerset County Heritage & Cultural Commission Juried Show’s Award of Excellence, the 1992 United Pastelists of America/Oil Pastel Association’s International Award, the 1993 Manhattan Arts Magazine International Competition’s Award of Excellence, and the 1994 Pastel Society of the West Coast Juried Exhibition’s Award of Excellence, Pastel Society of the West Coast Juried Exhibition. Robles has held more than 70 solo exhibitions in the Philippines, Europe, America and Asia, and has settled back to the Philippines.
Unknown Artist – Major Viginia Sarino
There is also a painting about Major Viginia Sarino, by an unknown artist. Maj. Sarino was part of the Philippine Civic Action Group to Vietnam (PHILCAG V) sent to field, in the Vietnam War, in 1966. The PHILCAG V wasn’t a combatant unit, and was composed of engineers and medical units. Maj. Sarino was part of the 94 members of the Philippine Military Nurses Corps in Vietnam, and displayed unwavering valor in treating the inpouring of many casualties despite the fight fights around them, even when their field clinic was overrun by Việt Cộng soldiers, who ransacked their clinic. The brave work of the PHILCAG V nurses was detailed by Sarino in her article: “Civic Action in Vietnam.”
1999 Hall of the Chiefs of Staff
The ramp leading to the second floor of the AFP Museum is the also the Hall of the Chiefs of Staff, which features the men to took the position of the head of the Philippine military, starting with Gen. Artemio Ricarte who served under Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo during the Philippine Revolution and Gen. Antonio Luna of the Philippine-American War, and ends with Gen Hernando Iriberri, who served during the term of Pres. Benigno Aquino III. The first 28 portraits were created by Luisito “Chito” Katindig Villanueva (born 1938) in 1999, and the rest were continued by the deaf-mute artist Samuel Navarrete Abrera from 1999 to 2016, and by Ed Esvasida in 2016.
2013 Unknown Artist – Basket Sellers
Caster P. Anin (Fort Bonifacio HS) – Peace for Mindanao
J. Rivera – River Scene
There a few more artworks without titles or with identified artists, in the AFP Museum. However, there is mush to explore about the history of the Philippines and stories of heroism among the many artifacts of the museum. And the Hall of the Chiefs of Staff also stand as a testimony of the achievements of the generals, who have risen to the highest military position. And that will be the subject of the next article.
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: Artworks of the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, Camp Aguinaldo Aside from the Philippine Centennial student competition paintings at the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, in…
Unknown Artists – Katipunan Revolution
In 1997, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) conducted a painting competition among the different colleges in Metro Manila, to commemorate different battles in Philippine history. This competition was part of the events building up to the Philippine Centennial, in 1998. Most of the artworks depict key events of the Katipunan Revolution (1896-1898) against the Spanish occupation of the Philippines (1565-1898), and the Philippine-American War (1899-1902). The paintings submitted are currently part of the 2nd floor exhibition at the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, in Camp Emilio Aguinaldo.
Godofredo F. Zapanta – Battle of Pinaglabanan
Ariel B. Conoza – Battle of Pinaglabanan
Bernardo A. Maac – Battle of Pinaglabanan
The Battle of Pinaglabanan
The Battle of Pinaglabanan, also called the Battle of San Juan del Monte, is considered the first real battle of the Philippine Revolution against the Spanish authorities. On August 23, 1896, Andrés de Castro Bonifacio (1863-1897) and the members of the Kataas-taasang, Kagalang-galangang Katipunan ng mga Anak ng Bayan (Katipunan for short) tore their cédulas personales (community tax certificates) and declaring independence from Spain, at the Pugad Lawin (Hawk’s Nest) district of now Quezon City. This was followed by the skirmish with the Guardia Civil at nearby Pasong Tamo, on August 29; which led to the Bonifacio and his aide, Emilio Jacinto (1875-1899), to lead an attack on the Spanish garrison, El Polvorin, in the town of Juan del Monte, on August 30. Even with the support of the troops of, Genaro de los Reyes and Vicente Leyba, Bonifacio’s poorly equipped soldiers were unable to defeat the better armed Spaniards, left 150 Katipuneros dead, and 200 captured.
Ricardo Gerri Dueñas – Imus Cavite
Tomas Delfin E. Matic – Imus-Fields of Glory
The Battle of Imus
Following his successful August 31, 1896, campaign in the town of Kawit, in the province of Cavite, General Emilio Famy Aguinaldo (1869-1964), proceeded to the nearby town of Imus. With the aid of his cousin, Baldomero Baloy Aguinaldo (1869-1915), and Captain José Santarin Tagle (1855-1910), General Aguinaldo was able to take the town after the fierce battle that lasted from the 1st to the 3rd of September. During the fighting, Aguinaldo’s men were able to thwart a reinforcement division, from Manila; and during the battle of the Isabela II Bridge, the Spanish General Ernesto de Aguirre was killed. Aguinaldo took Aguirre’s Toledo made“Sable de Mando” (command sabre) as a spoil of war, and was to use it in the rest of his campaigns.
Mario Panis – Sept. 2, 1896, Revolt in San Isidro, Nueva Ecija
Revolt in San Isidro
On September 2 to 5, 1896, Cabiao town gobernadorcillo (mayor), Mariano Nuñez Llanera (1855-1942), and Gapan town gobernadorcillo, Pantaleón Rufino Valmonte (1856-1896), led 3,000 Katipuneros towards the town of San Isidro, provincial capital of Nueva Ecija. Killing Spanish commander, Joaquin Machorro, the Katipuneros held the town temporarily, until better armed Guardia Civil reinforcements from Manila pushed the revolutionaries to a retreat. With only 60 Katipuneros killed, the remaining troops continued their fighting with guerilla warfare.
Benjamin Josue Libre – Sept. 1898, Nueva Caceres, Bicol
Elmer A. Salvosa – Surrender of the Spaniards in Bicol
The Nueva Cáceres Uprising
On September 18 1898, Guardia Civil corporals Elias Angeles and Felix Plazo led an uprising in the cuartel (jail) in the town of Nueva Cáceres (now Naga City), in the province of Ambos Camarines (now Camarines Sur), Bicol. With the killing of the Spanish Civil Guard Captain Francisco Andreu, his family, and three more Spanish soldiers, Spanish colonial government in Camarines surrendered to the Katipuneros, to avoid further bloodshed.
Glen M. Palaganas – Battle of Binakayan
Elmer Gernale – Battle of Binakayan
Rolando A. Yakit – Battle of Binakayan
Alfredo B. Ramos – Battle of Binakayan
The Battle of Binakayan
Now called the Battle of Binakayan-Dalahican, Spanish forces attempted an offensive against the Katipunan troops in the Binakayan district of the municipality of Cavite el Viejo (now Kawit), and the Dalahican and Dagatan districts of the municipality of Noveleta. General Aguinaldo successfully held the Binakayan encampment, protected by a trench system designed by General Edilberto Evangelista (1862-1897). Meanwhile in Dalahican, General Santiago Virata Álvarez (1872-1930) was also triumphant over the Spanish forces. During the November 9 to 11, 1896, battle, around 3,700 Katipunan soldiers were killed, while the Spanish led forces lost close to 9,000, including 9 officers.
Demetrio L. de la Cruz – Victory at Mount Puray
The Battle of Mount Puray
Despite Aguinaldo’s earlier successes, the Spanish forces led by Major General José María Julián de Lachambre y Domínguez (1846-1903) launched the Cavite Offensive of 1897, to take the province back from the Katipunan. Starting with the doomed March 24 Battle of Perez Dasmariñas, Aguinaldo’s troops were continuing to lose to the Spanish forces, which put them on the run. Travelling through the province of Morong (now Rizal), Aguinaldo and his soldiers held a valiant last stand in Mount Puray, near the municipality of Montalban (now Rodriguez). General Licerio Imaya Gerónimo (1855-1924) successfully held the line for Aguinaldo, to escape towards Biak-na-Bato, in the municipality of San Miguel, Bulacan Province. General Gerónimo would also distinguish himself during the Philippine American War, during the Battle of San Mateo (a.k.a. The Battle of Payne), on December 19, 1899.
Ramon T. De La Cruz – Battle of Tanza del Norte, Pan-ay
The Battle of Tanza del Norte
The Battle of Tanza del Norte was the uprising of the Capisnon people in the municipality of Capiz (now Roxas City), in the island of Panay. On April 15, 1898, General Juan Arce and General Esteban Dichosa Contreras (1864-1904) led the soldiers from the municipalities of Pan-ay (now Panay), Pontevedra, Panit-an (now Panitan) and Pilar on attack on the local Spanish garrison. With 150 revolutionaries killed during the battle, the Katipuneros retreated. However, they continued engaging the Spanish forces with guerrilla warfare, leading to the victory in the June 7, 1898, Battle of Balisong (also known as the Battle of Kalupogan Hills).
Mark Angelo Argarin – The First Display of the Philippine Flag
The First Display of the Philippine Flag
The current Philippine national flag was first displayed by General Aguinaldo, on May 28, 1898; right after his victory in the Battle of Alapan, against the Spanish forces under Major General Leopoldo García Peña. Aguinaldo had conceive the design of the flag during his December 23, 1897 to May 19, 1898, exile to Hong Kong; and was later sewn by Marcela Mariño Agoncillo (1860-1946), with the aid of her daughter seven year old Lorenza (1890-1972) and Delfina Herbosa Natividad (1879-1900), a niece of the National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal.
F. Tanglao – Battle of Manila, 1899
The 1899 Battle of Manila
The 1899 Battle of Manila marks the start of the Philippine-American War (1899-1902), although hostilities were brewing before that. When General Aguinaldo was in exile in Hong Kong, he sought the aid of the American embassy there, for aid is obtaining weapons and transport back to the Philippines. By this time, the Spanish-American War (April to August 1898) was already being waged, and the Americans agreed Aguinaldo to support the defeat of the Spanish in the Philippines. However, the Americans double-crossed the Filipino forces, by closing up Manila to their control after defeating the Spanish Armada in Manila Bay, on May 1, 1898. Then they “purchased” the Philippines from Spain with $20 million, with the Treaty of Paris, of December 10, 1898. With victory snatched from the Katipunan revolutionaries, a great resentment was built for these new colonizers. This all came to an explosive encounter, when Private William W. Grayson (1876-1941), of the 1st Nebraska Volunteer Infantry Regiment, shot and killed two Filipino soldiers attempting to cross an American checkpoint, at the corner of Sociego and Silencio Streets, in Santa Mesa, Manila, on February 4, 1899. Almost immediately, fire fights erupted around the city, with Lieutenant General Arthur MacArthur, Jr. (1845-1912) leading the offense in the northern districts of La Loma, while Brigadier General Thomas McArthur Anderson (1836-1917) led his forces to the southern districts of Pasay. While the fighting continued, Gen. Aguinaldo sent a message to Major General Elwell Stephen Otis (1838-1909) to call an end to hostilities, which were rejected by Otis. By the end of February 5, 238 Katipuneros were killed and 306 were capture, while the remaining Filipino forces moved to different provinces to wage guerilla warfare against the Americans.
Edmund G. Bascara – Battle of Quingua
Mitchell V. Doren – Battle of Quingua
The Battle of Quingua
The April 23, 1899, Battle of Quingua was one of the major victories of the Philippine forces against the Americans. The Katipunan troops, led by General Gregorio Hilario del Pilar y Sempio (1875-1899) and Colonel Pablo Ocampo Tecson (1859-1933) first engaged the cavalry forces of Major James Franklin Bell (1856-1919), near the municipality of Quingua (now Plaridel), in the province of Bulacan. Bell’s men sustained heavy casualties, and required reinforcements from 1st Nebraskans under Colonel John Miller Stotsenburg (1858-1899), who was killed shortly. The Filipino militia only started to retreat when the artillery fire from General Irving Hale’s (1861-1930) 51st Iowa and Utah Battery pushed back the Katipuneros.
Unknown Artist – Gen Gregorio del Pilar at Tirad Pass
The Battle of Tirad Pass
The Battle of Tirad Pass was the heroic last stand of the young General Gregorio Hilario Sempio del Pilar (1875-1899), who held the off the 33rd Volunteer Infantry Regiment of Major Peyton Conway March (1864-1955), so that Gen. Aguinaldo and his troops may escape capture. On December 2, 1899, the American forces reached the municipality of Concepcion (now named Gregorio del Pilar), on Mount Tirad, Province of Ilocos Sur; and engaged the Filipino soldiers. At the end of the day, 50 Katipuneros lay dead, including Del Pilar.
Marvin C. Cordero – Ang Mamatay Dahil Sa Iyo
There are several other paintings in the AFP Museum, whose titles and artists have been lost over the years. However, one painting “Ang Mamatay Dahil Sa Iyo” captures the essence of all the works created by the students for the competition. The phrase “Ang Mamatay Dahil Sa Iyo” is a shortened version of the last line of the Philippine National Anthem, Lupang Hinirang (Chosen Land), which is “Ang mamatay nang dahil sa ‘yo” or “To die for you.” The national anthem was composed as the Marcha Nacional Filipina by Julián Felipe (1861-1944), in 1899. The lyrics were originally written in Spanish, by José Palma y Velásquez (1876-1903), and its current Tagalog version was translated by Felipe Padilla de León (1912-1992), between 1958 and 1963. In the painting, several heroes and martyrs for Philippine independence are depicted: from the 1872 Gomburza Martyrs of Fr. Mariano Gómez de los Ángeles (1799-1872), Fr. José Apolonio Burgos y García (1837-1872), and Fr. Jacinto Zamora y del Rosario (1835-1872); to the propagandists Dr. José Protasio Rizal Mercado y Alonso Realonda (1861-1896), Graciano López Jaena (1856-1896), Mariano Ponce (1863-1918), and Marcelo Hilario del Pilar y Gatmaitán (1850-1896); and to the Katipunan revolutionaries of Andres Bonifacio, Emilio Jacinto, Melchora Aquino de Ramos (1812-1919), and Emilio Aguinaldo. These images and the lyrics of the National Anthem are reminders to the viewer to instill the same patriotic fervor on our hearts.
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: Philippine History in the Artworks of the AFP Museum, Camp Aguinaldo In 1997, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) conducted a painting competition among the different colleges in Metro Manila, to commemorate different battles in Philippine history.
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: Camp General Aguinaldo, AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: Camp General Aguinaldo, AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater
One of the most interesting buildings inside Camp Emilio Aguinaldo is the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater, which was built in 1995. And in 1999, the building was renamed as the Bulwagang Heneral Arturo T. Enrile (Gen. Arturo T. Enrile Hall), after the highly decorated former Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and Secretary of the Department of Transportation of the…
View On WordPress
Map of Camp Aguinaldo
Home of the headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Camp Emilio Aguinaldo occupies 178.78 hectares between Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (named after the politician and academician Epifanio Cristóbal de los Santos, 1871-1928), Colonel Bonny Serrano Avenue (named after the Korean War hero Colonel Venancio “Bonny” Merioles Serrano, 1922-1970), Katipunan Avenue (named after the revolutionaries for Philippine independence from Spain), and White Plains Avenue in Quezon City. The Camp Aguinaldo is more than just a military camp, but is also a major hub for social activities for civilians.
1933 His Excellency Gov. Gen. Frank Murphy and party, at the town Fiesta of Macabebe, Pampanga
Opened in 1935 as the American era (1898-1946) Camp Murphy, the military base was named after the former American Governor-General (1933-1935) and High Commissioner (1935-1936) to the Philippines, William Francis Brennan Murphy (1890-1949); who also served as the Mayor of Detroit, the Governor of Michigan, the Attorney General, and a Supreme Court justice in America. The camp was established as the home of the Philippine Constabulary (PC), after the Philippine government purchased part of the properties of Doña Magdalena Hashim Ysmael-Hemady (1877-1955) and Hacienda de Mandaloyon of Francisco “Don Paco” Ortigas (1875-1935). However, with the establishment of the Philippine Army in 1938, Camp Murphy was split into two, with the Philippine Army taking much of the area to the east; while PC took the smaller western property and named it Camp Rafael Cramé, after the first Filipino Chief of the Philippine Constabulary, Brigadier General Rafael Crame y Pérez de Tagle (1863-1927).
1935 Zablan Auxiliary Airfield
1945 Camp Murphy & Zablan Field
Lt. Col. Dwight E Eisenhower, future U.S. president, with the Philippine Army Air Corps officers at Zablan Field
Beside Camp Murphy was the Zablan Airfield, at the eastern edge of the base. The airfield was named after Major Porfirio E. Zablan, of the Philippine Constabulary Air Corps (PCAC), who was one of the first Filipinos to take actual flight training. Mastering his training, Zabalna quickly rose among the ranks of his fellow recruits, and was allowed to take further training in the USA. When Zabalan was killed in a training exercise in the USA in 1935, the airfield was named after him in honor of his service and sacrifice. After World War II (1939-1945), all flight operations of the Zabalan Airfield were transferred to the Nichols Air Base (now the Villamor Air Base, after Colonel Jesús Antonio Villamor, 1914-1971). The current location of the Zabalan Airfield is now the southern stretch of Katipunan Avenue.
Camp Aguinaldo Water Tank
The areas around Camp Murphy were designated to the barracks of the enlisted men and their families. To compensate the lack of a nearby source of potable water, gigantic water tanks were erected all over the camp. To this day, these water tanks are major landmarks in the residential district of Murphy District of Cubao (now called Barangay Socorro, est. 1961). As the families of the enlisted men grew, the barracks areas became fully fledged residential areas, which are now the Barangays of Socorro, San Roque, West Crame and Escopa. The Project 4, Barrio Escopa was once called Barrio Lata (Tin Can) after the many army rations consumed by the residents, it was later renamed as Barrio Escopa in 1943, after the 1st Company of the Philippine Army (or ISCOPA) who were billeted there.
1950s Emilio Aguinaldo Elementary School
1993 Emilio Aguinaldo Memorial
To accommodate the growing families of the enlisted men, schools were opened in the vicinity. However, these schools were destroyed in World War II, after the Japanese took over Camp Murphy and the Zabalan Air Field, to house the Japanese 29th Sentai’s Nakajima Ki-44 Shōki and Ki-84 Hayate planes. After the war, the new schools constructed for the enlisted men’s children were the Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo High School (est. 1946, as Armed Forces of the Philippines School for Enlisted Men, AFPSEM) and the Fort Aguinaldo Elementary School (est. 1949, as Enlisted Men’s Barrio School).
1964 Emilio Aguinaldo Monument, Camp Aguinaldo
In 1965, President Diosdado Pangan Macapagal Sr. (1910-1997) had Camp Murphy renamed after the first Philippine president and revolutionary general, Emilio Aguinaldo y Famy (1869-1964), almost 17 months after his death. Aguinaldo was born in the province of Cavite, and went to Manila to take his collegiate education, at the Colegio de San Juan de Letran. However, Aguinaldo didn’t complete studies to serve as the Cabeza de Barangay in his hometown of Cavite el Viejo (present-day Kawit) in 1895, and as its Gobernadorcillo (mayor) in the same year. Joining the Fremason, Aguinaldo was introduced to the Katipunan revolutionary movement of Andres Bonifacio, another mason. And with the 1896 outbreak of the Philippine Revolution, Aguinaldo led successful armed skirmishes against the Spanish forces. In March 22, 1897, Aguinaldo was elected as president of the Philippine revolutionary government, in Tejeros, Cavite Province; but he was convinced to surrender and be exiled to Hong Kong, with the Pact of Biak-na-Bato. In Hong Kong, Aguinaldo negotiated with the American ambassador for support in his return to the Philippines, as the USA had just entered into the Spanish-American War (1898). And on the 24th of May 1898, the United States Navy’s Asiatic Squadron of Commodore George Perrin Dewey (1837-1917) arrived in Manila Bay and destroyed the Spanish Pacific Squadron, with Aguinaldo and his men aboard the USRC McCulloch. Declaring a revolutionary government on the 28th of May, Aguinaldo’s plans were dashed by the betrayal of the Americans, who blockaded Manila for Filipinos and “purchased” the Philippines from Spain for $20 million, in the December 10, 1898, Treaty of Paris. Despite these setbacks, Aguinaldo established the First Philippine Republic on January 21, 1899, in Malolos, Bulacan ; but was once again thwarted by the outbreak of the Philippine-American War on February 4, 1899. Aguinaldo moved from province to province fighting and avoiding the American troops, until his capture on March 23, 1901, in Palanan, Isabela Province. Aguinaldo was forced to pledge allegiance to the Americans, and spent the rest of his days working for the care of his fellow revolutionaries, by securing pensions for the Asociación de los Veteranos de la Revolución (Association of Veterans of the Revolution).
1965 Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo, AFP Headquarters
Lapu-Lapu Grandstand and Parade Ground
Lapu-Lapu Grandstand and Parade Ground
The center of the Camp Aguinaldo is the General Headquarters (GHQ) with the Lapu-Lapu Grandstand and Parade Grounds. The parade ground is the center of all formal of the AFP in Camp Aguinaldo, and it is named after the Chieftain of Mactan, Lapu-Lapu, whose warriors defeated the Spanish forces of the Portuguese explorer, Fernão de Magalhães (Ferdinand Magellan, 1480-1521). The AFP camp in the province of Cebu is also named after Lapu-Lapu.
1984 Tejeros Hall, AFP Commissioned Officers Club
There are other buildings in the Camp Aguinaldo, named after historical places and notable soldiers. Such is the AFP Commissioned Officers Club’s Tejeros Hall. Built in 1984, the Tejeros Hall was named after the district of Tejeros, in the city of San Francisco de Malabon (now General Mariano Closas Trías City), province of Cavite; where the unification of factions of the Katipunan revolution against the Spanish Occupation of the Philippines lead to the election of General Aguinaldo as the president of the revolutionary government. The Tejeros Hallis a choice the location of military and civilian meetings and social functions; such as weddings, debuts and event fund raising shows. The Tejeros Hall also boasts a collection of artworks by Carlos Perez Valino Jr. (1930s-2008), Jose “Al” Rabino Giroy (born 1962), and Zenaida “Zny” Laygo (born 1930).
Office of the Judge Advocate General
1988 Col. Luis P. Torres Memorial
The next building named after a noted soldier is the Office of the Judge Advocate General’s (JAG) Luis P. Torres Hall of Justice. The edifice was named after Colonel Luis P. Torres, who served as the JAG from 1939-1941 and from 1945-1946. Col. Torres also served as the Secretary of Justice under Pres. Manuel Luis Molina Quezón (1878-1944), from 1932 to 1936; and mayor of Baguio City from 1950 to 1951.
Bulwagang Heneral Valdez (Medical Corps)
The Medical Corps building is named Bulwagang Heneral Valdez, after General Basilio J. Valdes (1892-1970). Valdez was World War I (1914-1918) veteran, who took his formal medical education at the University of Santo Tomas (UST). After the war, Valdez served in the Philippine Constabulary, revitalizing its medical corps. In 1939, Valde was appointed as the chief of staff of the Philippine Armed Forces, and he was later assigned the position of appointed Secretary of National Defense by Pres. Quezon, in 1941. After the war, Gen. Valdez acted as ad interim Secretary of Public Health and Welfare, under Pres. Sergio Osmeña Sr. (1878-1961). Retiring from government service, Gen. Valdez taught surgery at the UST, while leading notable institutions such as the Philippine Cancer Society (est. 1956), the Philippine Tuberculosis Society (est. 1910), the Veterans Memorial Medical Center (est. 1948), and the Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital (est. 1948).
1995 AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater
2012 AFP Museum
More of the history of the AFP as well as notable acts of heroism in its ranks can be viewed at the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater. Constructed in 1995, the AFP Theater has been a venue for film showings, variety shows, and even awards shows, such as the national AWIT Awards (the Philippine’s Grammys). The AFP Museum was renovated and reopened in 2012, where there are photo galleries of Philippine military history, tribal weaponry, dioramas of major battles, an exhibit honoring the recipients of the Philippine Medal of Valor, uniforms and insignias over the years, and a collection of artifacts of the many battles waged in the past, starting with the Katipunan Revolution of 1896 to the present. Aside from these artifacts, inside the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater are artworks by National Artist Napoleón Isabelo “Billy” Veloso Abueva (1930-2018), Imelda “Impy” Manalaysay Pilapil (born 1949), Ephraim Samson (born 1947), Carlos Perez Valino Jr. (1930s-2008), Ireneo “René” San Agustian Robles, Jr. (born 1950), Apolinario “Ka Inar” Paraiso Bulaong (1930s-2013), and portraits of the past AFP Chiefs of Staff by Luisito “Chito” Katindig Villanueva (born 1938) and the deaf-mute artist Samuel Navarrete Abrera.
1996 Kagitingan Park, Camp Aguinaldo
1996 Kagitingan Park, Camp Aguinaldo
Beside the AFP Museum and Multi-Purpose Theater is the Kagitingan Park (Bravery or Heroism), which exhibits the many vehicles and artillery used by the AFP over the years. The park was opened in 1996, and has grown steadily as decommissioned airplanes, helicopters, tanks, armored personnel carriers (APCs), jeeps, and artillery guns are added to the collection.
1989 Camp Aguinaldo Coup d’Etat Memorial
Another military vehicle on display in Camp Aguinaldo is a tank used in the 1989 Coup d’Etat of the rebel Reform the Armed Forces Movement (RAM) against the administration of Pres. María Corazón “Cory” Sumulong Cojuangco Aquino (1933-2009). 1989 Coup d’Etat Memorial is located beside AFP Veterans Center.
Camp Aguinaldo Veterans Center
The AFP Veterans Center is one of the many institutions in Camp Aguinaldo, established for the welfare of the Filipino soldier. Inside the Veterans Center is the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office (est. 1972); while located in other parts of the camp are the Armed Forces and Police Savings & Loan Association, Inc. (AFPSLAI), the Armed Forces and Police Mutual Benefit Association, Inc. (AFPMBAI), the Armed Forces of the Philippines Retirement and Separation System (RSBS), and the Armed Forces & Police General Insurance Corporation (AFPGEN).
Kagawaran ng Tanggulang Pambansa (Department of National Defense)
Office of Strategic and Special Studies
Office of Strategic and Special Studies
Other major institutions located within the Camp Aguinaldo are the Kagawaran ng Tanggulang Pambansa (Department of National Defense or DND), the AFP Logistics Center (LOGCTR, formerly Logistics Command, LOGCOM), the Office of Strategic and Special Studies, the Office of the Judge Advocate General, the Office of Civil Defense (est. 1972), the National Defense College of The Philippines (est. 1963), the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (est. 1970 as National Disaster Coordinating Council), the National Capital Regional Command (NCRCOM), the National Defense College of the Philippines (NDCP), the Armed Forces Reserve Command (AFPRESCOM),the AFP Command and General Staff College (AFPCGSC), the Joint Special Operations Group (JSOG), and the Anti-Crime Task Force (ACTAF).
Camp Aguinaldo Golf and Country Club
Aside from the institutions for official military business, there are several establishments for the soldiers to enjoy some R-N-R (Rest and Recreation). For some officers, there is the Camp Aguinaldo Golf Course, which is a 4945 meter (5409 yard) long 18-hole golf course, with challenging treeline, dog-legs, turtleneck greens, sand and water hazards. The golf course was several decades in operation, when avid civilian and military golfers established the Camp Aguinaldo Golf and Country Club in 1986, to manage the use of the course, as well as provide caddies and carts to the golfers, and serve hot meals and cold drinks before and after a game. The Camp Aguinaldo golf course and surrounding grounds makes the military base one of the major green areas of Quezon City.
AFP Concessionaires (Soldiers Mall)
Another R-N-R location is the AFPCOC Swimming Pool (AFP Commissioned Officers Club) and the AFP Concessionaires or Soldiers Mall. Inside the AFP Concessionaires are eateries, suppliers of military uniforms and paraphernalia, a mini-grocery, internet shops, and electronic shops.
AFP Episcopal Church
AFP Episcopal Church
For the spiritual needs of the soldiers and their families, the AFP coordinates with the Salam Mosque near Tandang Sora Avenue for its Muslim personnel; while for the Christian soldiers there are the Episcopal Church and the St. Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral inside the camp.
1964 St. Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral, Camp Aguinaldo
1964 St. Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral, Camp Aguinaldo
1964 St. Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral, Camp Aguinaldo
The St. Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral was erected in 1964, and was named after the Spaniard, San Íñigo López de Loyola (1491-1556), patron saint of soldiers. The St. Ignatius de Loyola Cathedral is seat of the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines; which was established as the Military Vicariate in 1950, and accepted into the Philippine Catholic system in 1952. Also known as the Diocese of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Philippine National Police, and the Philippine Coast Guard, Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), Bureau of Jail Management & Penology (BJMP), and Veterans Memorial Medical Center (VMMC), the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines has its offices at the AFP Ecumenical Building, behind the cathedral.
Camp Aguinaldo Residential Area for Officers
From the 1970s to the early 1990s, my family lived in the Murphy District of Cubao; and I would spend much of my childhood summers staying in my uncle’s house in Camp Aguinaldo. While my uncle was out in the field, my cousins and I would explore the camp, from the gold courses to the concrete playhouses. In those summers I saw developments in the camp, until my young adult life.
1965 Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo EDSA Gate
Living near the camp also allowed my family to experience the historical events that would involve Camp Aguinaldo and the nearby Camp Cramé. Among these events were the February 1986 People Power Revolution, where hundreds of thousands of people filled EDSA, to ouster President Ferdinand Emmanuel Edralin Marcos Sr. (1917-1989), after almost 21 years of a dictatorial rule over the Philippines. Later on, my brother and I were joining with the press in the coverage of the RAM Coup d’Etat against the government of Pres. Corazon Aquino in 1987 and 1989. And these coups will be the subject of my next article.
Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City: The History and Landmarks of Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo Home of the headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Camp Emilio Aguinaldo occupies 178.78 hectares between…