Back in the late 1870s, intrepid swimmers could cool off in the Clyde. The Clyde Floating Swimming Bath, which opened in 1879, was moored in the river off Battery Park at Greenock.
The brainchild of local shipbuilder and merchant James McCunn, the bath was housed in a 120ft barge, fitted with large water tanks, and a slatted wooden floor, to let the river refresh the water.
The attraction proved popular with swimmers from Glasgow, who would catch the train down for a dip. Entry cost one penny - not including a towel - with “temperance refreshments” on offer throughout the day.
Local shops clamoured for sales of appropriate swimming suits with 40 dressing rooms lining the perimeter of the pool.
Special “ladies only” sessions and displays of “fancy swimming” were held on the occasional Saturday afternoon.
In October 1881, just over two years after the pool first opened, a storm was to destroy the baths, with the scrap metal being auctioned off to the highest bidder.