ROCKEFELLER CENTER EVOLUTION
Aerial view looking southwest of Rockefeller Center complex when the new XYZ Plan extension totally completed. Summer, 1974.
The original Art Deco Rockefeller Center complex (The Associated Architects: Reinhard & Hofmeister; Corbett, Harrison & MacMurray; Raymond Hood, Godley & Fouilhoux; Edward Durrell Stone, 1931-1940) dominated by 70-story R.C.A. Building (Associated Architects, 1933) at center. At right can be seen the 32-story Warner Comunications Building (Carson & Lundin, 1947), and the Sinclair Oil Building (Carson & Lundin, 1952) the first two buildings for the Center that be added on the first years of postwar.
The late 1950s-early 1960s additon, at both sides of Avenue of the Americas, between 50th to 52nd streets are visible above, right: the 48-story Time & Life (Harrison & Abramovitz, 1959) and Sperry Rand (Emery Roth & Sons-Harrison & Abramovitz, 1963) building, both are designed as mid 20th Century International style glass boxes.
The new early 1970s Rockefeller Center extension called “XYZ Plan” are visible on the top of the picture, just above of the original complex, on the west side of Avenue of the Americas between 47th to 50th Streets, and there are: At center, the 54-story Exxon Building (Harrison, Abramovitz & Harris, 1971) and the 51-story McGraw-Hill Building (Harrison, Abramovitz & Harris, 1972). The new 45-story Celanese Building (Harrison, Abramovitz & Harris, 1974) are at left.
On the others building that be show in this picture, the reinforced-concrete structure of the new Olympic Tower (Skidmore Owings & Merrill, 1974) are visible at bottom right.
Photo: Thomas Airviews/Rockefeller Center, Inc.
Source: Balfour; Alan. “Rockefeller Center. Architecture as Theater” (New York. McGraw-Hill. 1978).














