CEO!Waymond’s Chinese monologue in EEAAO
While Waymond's Chinese monologue actually came after EEAAO's official script (aka the English subtitles), I personally like the feel of the Chinese version better (as translated by Echo Quan)—so, I wanted to share my re-translation of the Chinese back into English! (Side-by-side comparison of the movie subtitles with this translation can be found on twitter and gdocs.)
你觉得我很软弱,是吗? You think I’m really weak, don’t you?
多年前,我们刚开始谈恋爱的时候… Years ago, when we just started dating…
你爸总是觉得我的心太软。 Your dad kept thinking that my heart was too soft.
也许当时他是对的。 Perhaps he was right.
Please! I… Please! Can we—can we just stop fighting?!
你说过这是一个很残酷的世界… You’ve said before that this is a cruel world…
我们在里面绕圈子。 That we’re just going in circles inside of it.
这我明白。 This, I understand.
你和我都在这个地球上活了这么久了。 You and I have both been on this earth for this long already, after all.
I know you’re all fighting because you’re scared, and confused… I’m confused too. All day, I don’t know what the heck is going on! But, somehow, this feels like it’s all my fault.
我总是看到事情好的一面。 I always see the good side of things.
那不是因为我天真, It’s not because I’m naive—
而是必要和需要。 but rather because it’s a need and a must.
这也就是我的生存之道。 And, because it’s simply the way I survive.
I don’t know… The only thing I do know is that we have to be kind. Please, be kind, especially when we don’t know what’s going on.
我理解到你不是一个服输的人。 I understand that you aren’t someone who likes to admit defeat,
我也何尝不是。 and it’s not that I like to, either.
只是我们选择的处理方式不一样。 It’s just that the ways we choose to deal with things are different.
🥯 [BAGEL INTERMISSION] 🥯
尽管,你一再让我心碎,我想告诉你: Even though you’ve broken my heart over and over again, I want to tell you this:
如果有来生,我还是会选择和你一起 If there is a life after this one, I would still choose to be with you,
报税,开洗衣店。 filing taxes, and opening a laundromat together.
















